1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Americans: Kicking Ass in Nobel Prizes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Kornberg is the the fifth American to win a Nobel prize this year. So far, all the prizes - medicine, physics and chemistry - have gone to Americans.

This year's Nobel announcements began Monday, with the Nobel Prize in medicine going to Americans Andrew Z. Fire and Craig C. Mello for discovering a powerful way to turn off the effect of specific genes, opening a potential new avenue for fighting diseases as diverse as cancer and AIDS. Their work dealt with how messenger RNA can be prevented from delivering its message to the protein-making machinery.

On Tuesday, Americans John C. Mather and George F. Smoot won the physics prize for work that helped cement the big-bang theory of how the universe was created and deepen understanding of the origin of galaxies and stars.

Each prize includes a check for $1.4 million, a diploma and a medal, which will be awarded by Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf at a ceremony in Stockholm on Dec. 10.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/15675521.htm

[​IMG]

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Mitch Albom's a shoo-in to get the literature award.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Diebold comes through again!

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

It is only a matter of time until our chemists and doctors and physicists start relying on their superior athleticism and jumping ability and forget about the fundamentals. Enjoy the wins while we can people.

5. Of course, 35 percent of the population believes God made us out of dust 6000 years ago, so it all balances out.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The Americans just want it more than the Europeans. The Euros need to get their acts together. We're beating them at their own game.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

For this, I'll certainly burn in hell, but ...

Someone sitting next to me once said, "I wonder what Stephen Hawking's IQ is."

I replied, "I don't know, but I bet I can guess his time in the 40."

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Obviously, this shows an overemphasis on academics and we have lost the proper perspective on athletics. Why don't people care that we can't win the Ryder Cup or the Olympics in basketball or baseball.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Post of the year!

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Nobel prizes by Americans so far in 2006: Five.
    Nobel prizes by Canadians in the history of the world: Six.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Fantasy league titles won by BigDog: Three.
    Actual times with a woman by BigDog: Zero.

12. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Now, see, that's just stupid. I mean, the lack of game you haters have is appalling.

Draft saved Draft deleted