1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Americans can't stay off the Internet, even when driving'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you...

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Glad I don't have to drive on the same highway with you.

People need to wake up and take driving for the serious endeavor it is. No wonder we have so many freakin' accidents. I fear I am putting my life in danger every time I get behind the wheel.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Be glad we never got flying cars.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Give them demerit points and watch their insurance rates skyrocket.
    Maybe then they'll finally get the message.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

This should solve the problem:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2013/11/08/cars-that-drive-themselves-will-have-some-awesome-consequences/

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The only time I'm on the internet when I'm driving is when I'm super wasted.
    Seriously though, I don't know how people do that. I don't text when I drive - being stopped at a red light obviously doesn't count - and if it wasn't for my BlueTooth, I wouldn't take calls when I drive either.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

We should have never called it the "information super-highway."

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Texting while driving has been illegal in the UK since, I think, 2003. Since I moved here, I simply don't do it any more. I really have no idea if anyone actually ever gets caught (although it shows up on those cops-with-cameras shows all the time, possibly by design), but I know that I've never been in the car with someone who's texted while driving and I've never gotten a text from someone who I knew was driving at the time.

If I get a text while driving, I might look at the lock screen at the next stoplight, and if it looks really important, I might unlock the phone and read it. But responding? Just not really the done thing.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Now that is downright fucking scary. Drunk and texting?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They'll have to pry my traffic app out of my cold, dead hands.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That will put MADD out of business. Can't imagine they'll be too happy about it.

And how will cities make up for the lost revenue from DUI checkpoint arrests?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In the movie "The Internship," a comedy set on Google's campus, a driver-less car rolls by.

I turned to my wife and said, "That is going to happen, just so you know. I wonder if our children will ever get driver's licenses."

Draft saved Draft deleted