1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Top 40, 7/4/70

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Jul 4, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed it. I was thinking I was all by myself in the sandbox for a while there. I think Casey said something about a Susan Jacks as the vocalist. I knew Terry Jacks (Seasons in the Sun) was the leader, so I looked it up and see it was his wife as the lead singer on that.

2. old_tony

I'm pretty sure that's how it showed on my DirecTV information thing. But you're right, so I'll go fix it.

3. old_tony

That is some clutch information. I just looked him up. Quite fascinating.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep, but they had split up (the marriage and the group) by the time he was ruminating about how it was hard to die when all the birds were singing in the sky.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Six years later, the bicentennial countdown:

www.reelradio.com/gifts/atf070476.html

Oh, and thanks for the memories, old_tony.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Can't find the Billboard Top 100 from that week, which Kasey was basing his Top 40 on, but I did find the Cashbox Magazine Top 100 from that week which was very similar.
    http://cashboxmagazine.com/archives/70s_files/19700704.html

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You can do a passable countdown of your own thanks to YouTube. :)

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ah, the days when the Beatles, Elvis, the Temptations and Bread could appear in the same grouping. And I bet someone involved with Kasenetz-Katz probably had vocals on the charts simultaneously with different aggregations.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

The Top 40 replays are one of the best assets of XM radio. Easily.

7/4/70 ... I was growing in the womb.

The top 10 that week was awesome. Thanks, tony.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Post-merger, the countdowns and baseball are about the only assets if you're an ex-XM'er.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

AT40 replays...uniting both sides of the SJ political aisle since, umm, now? :D

And bubbler is right: Without the countdowns and the baseball, the "new" XM (fuck you Sirius) would be pretty shitty. I'd still have it, b/c hearing Ratt and Faster Pussycat every 90 minutes on Hair Nation still beats the alternative...but not by much, unfortunately.

12. old_tony

Seeing this list reminds me of some other thoughts I had. I found this going on on the TV in my bedroom before I came out to the living room and logging on here and I didn't keep some of those thoughts when i started posting this stuff.

But a couple of thoughts I now remember:
    I do not ever recall hearing that Wilson Pickett version of Sugar, Sugar. As far as I can ever remember, I've only heard that song by The Archies.

Also notable was Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young being at both No. 24 (Ohio) and 21 (Teach Your Children Well).

A couple songs on this list below No. 40 were on the AT40, so the lists had quite a bit of difference. Make It With You by Bread was 20 on the AT40 but 39 on the Cashbox list. And not noted because I didn't start this thread till well after it played, but the song "Everything is Beautiful" was a huge song that year but one of the very few non-novelty songs for Ray Stevens.

Some really great memories from listening to that and now reading some of these posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted