1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Top 40, 7/4/70

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Jul 4, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Had I seen this at the start, I might have live-blogged it, but on XM's 70s on 7 channel (804 on my DirecTV), they are replaying the Casey Kasum American Top 40 from July 4, 1970. It's the very first AT40 ever.

They're up to No. 23 right now (Which Way You Going, Billy? by the Poppy Family.)

I could keep going from here, but on the Fourth of July, I'm not sure I want to sit here for another hour or so -- plus, Brewers-Cubs is just about to start.

EDIT: For historical purposes, on 7/4/70, I was one month short of turning 10. Barack Obama was one month short of turning 9.

2. old_tony

Right now they're playing something from Bill Cosby called Little Ole Man. It's not part of the countrown.

3. old_tony

No. 22 -- Love on a Two Way Street -- The Moments
    No. 21 -- Mississippi Queen -- Mountain
    No. 20 -- I'd Like to Make it With You -- Bread
    No. 19 -- Are You Ready? -- PG&E
    No. 18 -- Love Land -- (I think it's called) Charles Wright and the 100th Street Watts Rhythm Band
    No. 17 -- Tighter & Tighter -- Alive & Kicking (Casey notes that this was produced by Tommy James)
    No. 16 -- My Baby Loves Love -- White Plains

4. old_tony

No. 15 -- A Song of Joy -- Miguel Rios
    Now playing an oldie -- Hello Dolly, Louis Armstrong. According to Casey, July 4, 1970 was Armstrong's 70th birthday. According to Wikipedia, he was born Aug 4, 1901.
    No. 14 -- United We Stand -- Brotherhood of Man
    No. 13 -- Get Ready -- Rare Earth (18th week on the charts for this one)
    No. 12 -- Ooh Child -- The Stairsteps (Casey called them the Stairsteps, but they were eventually known as the Five Stairsteps)
    No. 11 -- Gimme Dat Ding -- The Pipkins

5. old_tony

No. 10 -- Hitchin' a Ride -- Vanity Fair
    Now playing an "oldie" -- Spinning Wheel by Blood, Sweat & Tears -- The No. 2 hit from 1969.
    No. 9 -- The Wonder of You -- Elvis Presley
    No. 8 -- The Long and Winding Road -- Beatles
    No. 7 -- Close to You -- The Carpenters
    No. 6 -- Lay Down -- Melanie

6. old_tony

No. 5 -- Band of Gold -- Freda Payne
    No. 4 -- Ride, Captain, Ride -- Blues Image
    No. 3 -- Ball of Confusion -- The Temptations
    No. 2 -- The Love You Save -- Jackson Five
    Another "oldie" -- Satisfaction by the Stones
    No. 1 -- Mama Told Me Not to Come -- Three Dog Night

Without commercials it went a lot faster than I thought it would. A fun, nostalgic liste.

Enjoy your Fourth, everyone.

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Tony Burrows sang lead vocals on three out of the top sixteen ("My Baby Loves Love", "United We Stand", Gimme Dat Ding"). Pretty impressive.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If I didn't have to cover something at 8 a.m. this morning, I'd have listened.

I've heard those early AT40s before and Casey sounds so laid back. It's like he's smoking a bowl while he's doing the countdown ... which he very well might have been.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

He also did "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" a couple months prior to this.

And "Beach Baby" about four years later.

The ultimate one-hit wonder - one hit each with five different aggregations, four of them pretty much simultaneously. Even Paul Carrack hasn't matched that..........yet. :D

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

P.S. Thanks for posting that countdown, Tony.....a lot of great songs in that mix. Especially the first one you mentioned, "Which Way You Going, Billy?" Terry Jacks never topped that one.

11. Mountain

singular

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe that's how Casey broadcast the group name......you know, right after he freaked on somebody's head about a little dog named Snuggles.

Draft saved Draft deleted