1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Pharoah seeking Triple Crown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, May 16, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, after seeing the race and how he was pulling away in such a long race, I am more impressed. It is unusual for a horse to not be almost completely out of gas by the end of the Belmont. As I said earlier, the fact that I was in the office when I watched it, it sucks that I couldn't fully appreciate it. I wish I could have seen some people who actually know what they're talking about discussing it, instead of the a-holes on the 1 am SportsCenter and FS Live.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Coming down the stretch, where most TC favorites run out of gas and sputter to the finish line, AP looked like he shifted into a higher gear. After he made the turn for home, he left the pack behind.

Not in the same galaxy as Secretariat of course, but kind of the same template.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That is what struck me on the replay. I guess I just dismissed it as I watched with co-workers, but every previous TC hopeful was sucking wind at the end. Not this time.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

donjulio15 and Vombatus like this.
  5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Crap. I hate these stories. Amazing how strong and fragile these animals are at the same time. And then ...

"This is the great shame of American racing, I believe," Guillermo said. "American racing is all about drugs and medication and the European horses that come over here, the [owners] feel they have a competitive disadvantage if they don't also use race day medication."

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

In high school, my favorite class was AP American History and English block. Thus, I loved the headline I saw yesterday: AP American history.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Humblebrag post. ;)

Ace likes this.
  9. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

As a casual fan, it was exciting to see American Pharoah win at Belmont. When I opened this weeks SI, I was mesmerized at how muscular he looked, a beautiful horse. As sad as I was to see California Chrome lose last year, it was fun to see AP win the TC.

10. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

While everyone is celebrating the TC win, it's fair to notice that most every dirt race at Belmont Saturday was won by horses on or near the pace. By the 12th race, it wasn't rocket science that AP was the lone speed on a inside-biased track.
    American Pharoah's closest call was a length in the Derby, where the track played mostly "fair" all day.
    Then, he won by 7-plus lengths in a Preakness raced in the last-second slop, and won by 5 1/2 lengths on the Belmont conveyor belt.
    Maybe just as impressive a winner Saturday was Honor Code in the Met Mile. He was dead last at the 3/8 pole and rallied to win on a surface that wasn't favoring closers at all. They may be eye-balling a shot at AP in the Breeders' Cup Classic, just have to see how the campaigns turn out for each.
    I side with the others. 1:13 and change for the 1st 3/4 mile, then 1:13 and change for the last 6 furlongs? He should've tired at least by a second late, which would've then made him vulnerable to an otherwise languishing Frosted.
    Hyopthetcial as it is —— in 1973, Secretariat would've been likely run 2:23 if he'd caught a surface similar to Saturday's track variant, which is difficult to wrap thy head around.
    Just learned Andy Beyer gave Pharoah a 105 Speed Figure -- Honor Code a 112, albeit at a short distance.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, AP is ripped. Can't remember a horse looking so muscular.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Eh. I defer to donjulio's knowledge, but I'm forever giddy that I finally saw a Triple Crown, and that I was in the building when it started, on a perfect late spring day in Louisville, Ky. Saw him come thundering around the final turn right in front of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted