1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Pharoah seeking Triple Crown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, May 16, 2015.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Would you consider American Pharoah as the AP's Male Athlete of the Year in year-end voting, or would that go to the jockey?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The horse. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be unprecedented. But they'll give it to Caitlyn.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Secretariat was definitely in ESPN's 50 Greatest Athletes of the 20th Century.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Serena, Curry and maybe Spaeth still have a shot.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I'm going to have to vote for Mike Trout, because my abacus tells me is was superior to this horse.

6. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

This was supposed to be a "deep" talent pool of 3yos … and it still may be. But AP has likely left the building. He has some mares to tend to.

7. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

Boom

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jenner was not, for what it's worth.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Zenyatta finished second in the AP Female Athlete of the Year vote in 2009. AP should win the male vote this year.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

We're talking about AP Male Athlete of the ... oh, I see what you did there.

12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I think the race didn't appear "exciting" for a few reasons. He didn't dominate with the physical performance of Secretariat (2 seconds faster than the next fastest Belmont. There wasn't the battle of Affirmed and Alydar (I am not a horse racing fan, but I thought those were the most exciting triple crown races).

Although AP's time puts him, I think, at 6th fastest Belmont, he didn't look like he was working very hard. My impression from the one time I watched the race was that he looked like he was doing a very relaxed gallop, while the other horses were running flat out. I haven't been able to find Espinoza's full quote about how it felt to ride him. It was something about how because of the mechanics of AP's stride and the way he strikes the ground, it feels deceptively slow. I thought it was exactly how his stride looked to me during the race, giving the impression he was out there for a fun run.

Draft saved Draft deleted