1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American League Rookie of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Nov 12, 2006.

?

The award will be announced Monday - who do you think deserves it?

1. Jonathan Papelbon Red Sox

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Justin Verlander Tigers

26 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. Kenji Johjima Mariners

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. Francisco Liriano Twins

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Jared Weaver Angels

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Nick Markakis Orioles

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Melky Cabrera Yankees

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, but so did guys like Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, A-Rod, Bernie, Sheffield (until he was hurt) and Mussina and on and on. Cabrera was a ninth place hitter most of the time.

Markakis will be better, and really, already is. He was this past year too. I'd have him higher than Johjimma. I'm also curious as to who voted Markakis the first place vote.

That said, Verlander was absolutely the right call.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It was probably someone who also thinks pitchers shouldn't win because they only play every fifth day.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

As do many players at the other positions.

4. Johjima also went the entire season and he did it playing catcher - the most grueling position in baseball. Johjima led all AL rookies in HR and RBI. If you like win shares - consider that Johjima had 22 compared to Verlander's 15. Put it anther way - Johjima was more productive than Ivan Rodriguez and Pudge was considered by many as more valuable to the Tigers than Verlander this season.

I too would have voted Johjima third behind Verlander and Papelbon.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Papelbon also had six blown saves, including three in the month of August as the wheels fell of the Red Sox' season.

*[edit] I should have read the entire thread before posting. This one comes to you from Department of Redundancy Department.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not a big win-share guy, but how can Verlander only have 15 win-shares when he WON 17 games this season?

As far as Pudge being more valuable than Verlander, I don't know of very many people saying that. Guillen was the most valuable easily. Pudge had more of a knack for strikeouts and a lack of clutch hitting THIS YEAR.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

My vote would go to Liriano, because he was a top pitcher whether a rookie or not. Papelbon was a good closer, but there were other closers just as good (not a lot, but some). Verlander had a good season, but ask yourself this question - if there was a big game, who would you rather have pitch? No question in my mind that it would be Liriano. Weaver wasn't as dominating later in the year, although he was really good.

the only problem with Liriano, of course, if that he was hurt at the end of the year. But Rookie of the Year is somewhat different because a rookie might not be called up or get a chance to play in the first month or six weeks of the season. I think Liriano was so outstanding when he pitched that the late-season injury shouldn't be a factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted