1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Indoor Football Association

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 29, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

No. What happened?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I can probably find a line.

After Toyota selected a site near here for a Highlander assembly plant, the NYT said Tupelo was best known "as the birthplace of Elvis Presley and for its high-quality honey."

One out of two ain't bad, I suppose ...

3. HejiraHenry

I'd told the PR guy from the team to call tonight after their first road game.

So he calls in with the final score.

No scoring summary.

No stats.

"I could probably answer a few questions for you," he said earnestly.

A few years ago, I would have reponded thusly: "Okay, why are you calling me without the scoring summary and stats?"

I'm losing my touch.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

You are. I would have quoted him extensively in the story.

WHATEVER--The Tupelo Honeys fell to Whatever Town, 67-55, Saturday in AIFA action.

"We tried hard and did well," PR dope said. "We scored two touchdowns early but they came back and we couldn't. Number 12 had a great game. Number 24 did well too. It was a real back and forth game. Number 67 had a few tackles and number 75 scored on an interception."

5. HejiraHenry

Heh.

The coach called later. I got enough for now.

Including this: "Our" team was called for 38 penalties ... and still won.

Thirty eight? WTF?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thirty-eight penalties? You might want to send your cops reporter to the next home game.

And "our?" Tsk tsk. I never expected such homerism out of you. Mr. Owner Guy must have ripped you a new backside. :D

7. HejiraHenry

That was in quotes. My sarcasm font is in the shop.

8. HejiraHenry

Bringing back this thread to observe the end of the season for our AIFA team.

They went 12-4 and pulled up just short of me having to decide what to do about the championship game on Saturday in Florence, S.C. – a good 11-hour drive from here.

I really liked the coaches and thought the players did a good job considering that they're risking their lives and health for $250 a week. The league itself? Not a big fan.

I'll be skeptical of us having to deal with this again in 2008. The first-round home playoff game drew maybe 1,200 – and it was on a Sunday, so the arena took a beating because they couldn't serve beer.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh thank goodness. I thought you were going to tell us you were covering a game because no one else was willing to do it.

You would have had to cover the title game? That's when your lenient sharing policy would have come in REAL handy with the Florence newspaper.

10. HejiraHenry

No, sadly, they're the ones who stiffed me – and not in a nice way, I might add – on a game earlier in the season when their guy "just couldn't get over there" for the game.

That happened to me once on a home game this season, so I know life get complicated. But it did not make me feel hopeful about the title game.

I was conflicted about how to handle the title game, but I suspect I would have broken down and gone.

Or, more likely, I would have gone and then I would have broken down.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I did say that league was going to kill you.

Here lies HH: He Never Made It To the AIFA Title Game.

12. HejiraHenry

If the 1992 Olympics didn't kill me, the piddly AIFA won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted