1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Indoor Football Association

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 29, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap. This is when you call his bluff. He's holding an eight high.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I'm getting that indirectly ... but a solid source.

The odd thing is, I haven't heard a word from the team since the season started, except once when they were announcing a lease extension. The PR guy, who's young, seems nice. I'd be happy to explain the situation to them ... but they're going to have to ask.

Meantime, it's up to them to call us from the road Saturday night. We'll see what happens.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How can the Arena Football League have a patent on how a sport is played? That's nutty.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

One of these indoor teams last year, I believe, had a female owner who fired the ENTIRE TEAM in the middle of the season.

Why, you ask.

Because the team members had the nerve to expect their paychecks not to bounce like super balls each week.

One entire series of paychecks bounced, the players complained and the owner fired everybody. Actually referred to them as "ungrateful."

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm almost sure that was the ABA, with the nutty owner in Tennessee.

Or was that the owner who got tossed from the league for going crazy on the sidelines?

Whatever.

6. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Nope, the owners of the Montgomery (Maulers? Marauders?) indoor franchise fired the entire team during the season last year.

And HH, tell Tupelo to come back to the af2 where it belongs!

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Because the guy who founded the league, Jim Foster, created the "arena" game from scratch. Literally drew it up on a cocktail napkin. Because it was his idea he was able to patent it.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The ABA also has a team owned by SI's Alexander Wolff. The Vermont Frost Heaves.

9. dooley_womack1

That seems manifestly unenforceable. And how the fuck can you patent the concept of netting? In that case, MLB should sue the NHL and the AFL.

10. HejiraHenry

Many of the former Maulers now play, if I understand correctly, as the Gulf Coast Pirates of the AIFA.

And Tupelo only wishes it had an af2 franchise ... It's been in at least three off-brand leagues ... so far.

11. dooley_womack1

Were any of the franchises named the Tupelo Honeys?

12. HejiraHenry

You know the NYT gaffe from a week ago, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted