1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Indoor Football Association

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

AFL/af2 does own the rights to the rebound end zone net.

I haven't googled/wiki-ed yet, but I'm guessing indoor/arena fields are pretty similar.

I think AFL recently changed its roster rules. I know AIFA allows players to play on one side of the ball, whle AIFA used to (maybe still does) have a rule where so many players had to go both ways (notably linemen and WR/DB).

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Count your blessings.

You could have a women's football league in your town.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Hey we have 1 AFL team the Los Angeles Avengers.
    Then we probably have some AIFL team or a league close to it.

We also have
    OC Breakers and All Valley Attack for the WPFL
    California Quakers in the IWFL.

I have actually had fun at the womens games because they actually play because they want to not because they get paid to do so.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I almost hesitate to ask, but do they have a rule that a certain number of their players have to go both ways?

6. HejiraHenry

Well, it started tonight.

Home team won ... and drew about 4,800.

No way to know for sure how many of those were paid-for tickets.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I'm considering posting my availability for covering visiting teams who play CIFL's Springfield, IL team....I know the league was the GLIFL last year, but was wondering how the league faired in terms of team/media relations. Anybody got stories, advice, info?

8. HejiraHenry

While looking up something at the Tallahassee newspaper's Web site, I spotted this reader comment, relating to the paper's coverage of the AIFA Tallahassee Titans:

I had to look for it, but I'm glad to see the Democrat decided to cover the Titans today. Looking forward to seeing more people at this game tonight. Today the comptition should be fun.

I still say, Titans are front page material - despite everything else going on with FSU sports. Tallahassee's Daily Newspaper should make coverage of all local sports programs fair and balanced, and go away from the perception that there is a favorite in this city.

So a few rules I'd like to propose in covering local sports:

1) If a team does well, it deserves its spot in the light. If a team is having a down/rough season, its stories should follow those of the team that is doing well. The intent should be to highlight the "Good News" first.

2) Community-wide teams (such as those that don't require an affiliation with any particular school, but include all of Tallahassee) should be placed before teams of special interest (such as those that relate to a University, or College for which the entire community may not be able to relate.)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

teams of special interest? this reader sounds like he/she should be on a team of special interest.

HH, what have you guys done to cover this team? Anything beyond the first gamer?

10. HejiraHenry

Oooh, I'm not in Florida.

I'm in Mississippi.

The team here played four home games, then was off last weekend.

We covered the first three games with a stringer and photo coverage at the first two of those. The fourth game, we had no optional space to play with at all and we wrote a long brief off the radio.

We've written a couple of player features and one longish piece about their good start when the team was 3-0.

Saturday night is their first road game and your guess is as good as mine if we hear from them.

It looks like Tallahassee is covering with a correspondent, writing 6 or 8 grafs for advance and 6 of 8 grafs for a gamer.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh, I know you're not in FLA. But you had mentioned AIFA coverage in the initial post so I was curious what you were doing.

12. HejiraHenry

Not enough, I suppose, to suit the owner ... he's said to have considered pulling our press credentials if we don't give them more press. I have some trouble following that logic.

Draft saved Draft deleted