1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol Finale 5/22

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mltru2tx, May 22, 2007.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The more that I think about it, the more that I think that Randy's comments were the reason that Melinda was voted out. It was clear that Simon liked Melinda and that Randy liked Jordin. In fact, Randy has been so over the top with his praise for Jordin that it is a little sickening. Meanwhile, he never forgot to tell the audience that Melinda was "a pro" and his always praised her "consistency". I think that he wanted to make sure that it wasn't a Jordin-Melinda final because Melinda is the better singer. By having Blake-Jordin, he could go back to comparing singing voices.

I thought that Simon has a good dig at Randy, saying something like "now that I've been reminded that this is a singing competition"

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

You give Randy credit for having WAY more influence than he does.

3. I definitely saw Sanjaya in the background of one shot. I never spotted Gina.

4. You're just wrong on both counts.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

This was a Super Bowl blowout.

And I know a lot of people who shut the TV down after last week. This ain't a singing competition. This is a schtick competition, Hollywood style. Best marketable story. Jordin, Phillippi's little girl. 17, innocence. Hope she stays that way, but you know how Hollywood changes people.

But there is no way - no way at all - that either of these people are superior in voice to Melinda.

6. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Why is Paula Abdul a judge if she never wants to judge anybody?

She says the same thing about everybody: "You're super. I love you. You're really coming into your own."

Then when asked who she thinks was better, even if it's clear to the rest of the world, she says, "It's a tie. I can't choose."

This annoys the effing hell out of me.

Don't sign up for the job as judge if you're afraid to do the damn job!

It reminds me of sissy writers who just want to genuflect with famous athletes instead of doing our job telling it like it is and exposing their bull.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I actually feel for Blake. I disagreed with Simon's comment last night that his Maroon 5 performance would be deemed unforgettable. I actually thought it was good. However, Simon was right in saying that it would be unfair to judge Blake on the last song because it is clearly not his genre of music or type of song he would sing.

I am starting not to like Randy as a judge on the show. I am at times wondering if he is on the same page as everyone else (like what he is listening to).

It was clear last night that no matter what Blake sang, Randy wasn't going to like it because he was totally in Jordin's camp. Simon is still sulking over Melinda's exit (I don't blame him).

I won't be buying Jordin's record that is for sure. If Blake puts out one, I will get it because I like unique talent. Melinda should have won Idol though for sure. I think if you are the front runner, it is a curse every year or something because you tend to get voted out ::)

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I really wanted Blake to do Somewhere Only We Know for his "repeat." He can sing, and he had done a beautiful job with that song.

I read an interview with Nigel Lythgoe... I think in Variety... where he said they blew it this year by getting away from the personal stories and doing too much with the "mentors" who were promoting albums. Couldn't agree more! I'm so glad he gets it. This whole season, I kept asking, "Where are the shots of Vonzell doing her mail route, or Anthony Federov growing up in Russia?"

The producers dropped the ball this year, and as a result the viewers were less invested in the contestants. Happy to see it will be corrected.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Blake wins. It will be about the teen vote.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy saw Sanjayjay several times on TV

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't know why the teen wouldn't get as many teen votes as Blake. I see them even there.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Fox does this crazy poll relevant to web searches for the Idol's name ... it had Blake well ahead of Jordin, who just nipped Melinda.

Teenage girls will vote for the cute boy. Not the Amazon that can sing.

Draft saved Draft deleted