1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

american idol -- 4/17

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I think the bottom 3 tonight will be Chris, Lakisha and Blake. I think Chris gets the boot this week. I'm sorry, nasal is not a style of singing.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I hope either Chris or Vajayjay goes home this week. I haven't been able to stand either of them (or Phil) since the beginning.

3. Exactly. It was like he realized he sounded really stupid and decided to pull that out to soften the blow. I don't think it worked at all.

4. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Chris is going home tonight. He's been close to going home before, and he was skewered by all three judges.

Joining him in the bottom three will be Sanjaya and Blake.

I still think it's a joke that Melinda is even in this competition.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Here's what I think happened.

The host, the judges and the contestants are under pressure from the producers to keep the show moving.

You'll notice the last contestant to sing always gets the most abbreviated comments from the judges.

So Chris had probably made up his mind beforehand to say something about the shootings --- "prayers go out.." etc.

But he got sidetracked when Simon trotted out the "nasal" comments (once again.) Chris is probably short of patience, lacking sleep and in a low mood in light of Monday's events as well as the rigors of the competition.

So he felt he needed to defend himself on the "nasal" thing once and for all, snapped back at Simon, but then quickly remembered his plan to acknowledge Va Tech. All this while the producers are trying to move things along.

Live TV isn't easy.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You know how it works, which means that he probably knows how it works. He knew time would be limited, which means he should have known better than to start with "nasal is a style." And that's why he should have talked VaTech the moment he got the chance. He didn't think enough about VaTech to put it before himself, though.

7. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Did you see Simon roll his eyes when he mentioned Va. Tech. He knew exactly what Chris was doing.

8. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I agree that Chris might have gotten sidetracked but did mean to bring it up all along.
    Here's Entertainment Weekly's take: (this guy's Idol articles every week are hilarious)

"Even more troubling, though, was Chris's abrupt change of subject from mouthing off to Simon to extending his thoughts and prayers to the victims of the Virginia Tech shootings. Mind you, I'm not saying the Virginia resident's remarks weren't sincere, but the timing felt way, way off. By sniping at Simon first, realizing he was in a losing battle, then turning the subject to an unspeakable national tragedy, Chris created the season's most uncomfortable moment. And seeing that Sanjaya's had nine live performances to date, that's a tremendously unfortunate accomplishment."
    "Was the fact that the cameras caught Simon's eye-roll reaction the reason he offered his sympathies to the victims' families later on?"

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20007164_20008533_20035529,00.html

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

And now Cowell is being demonized by Drudge and others for being insensitive to the VT situation.

TMZ spoke with Simon Cowell this morning about last night's incident on "A.I.," in which Cowell sarcastically rolled his eyes after contestant Chris Richardson offered condolences to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech.

Cowell told TMZ, "I couldn't hear what Chris had said. I was talking to Paula. My reaction (rolling my eyes) was to what he had said previously, that singing nasally is a form of singing."

It's true, when the judges are off camera they frequently jab at each other as the singers do their thing.

Simon told TMZ he was shocked when he saw what went down: "When I watched the show back, I was horrified."

10. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I dunno ... it sure looked like Simon was rolling his eyes at Chris' transparent attempt to get votes.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I think Sanjaya's time is up -- finally.

That Chris guy has been in the bottom three a couple of times, but he's also avoided it several times, too. He's been getting votes from somewhere, and I guarantee that the little VaTech shoutout got him a few more, no matter how awkward it was.

That means there's really no one to save Sanjaya. He's never been on the same vote-getting level as Melinda, Blake, Lakisha or Jordin and Phil's performance was pretty damn good. I don't care much for the guy, but Randy was right, if he goes country, he'll have a fine career. I'd bet he'll get a ton of votes from the South after that.

Bottom three: Sanjaya, Blake and Lakisha.

Just for the record, dialidol, which has been off on predicting the contestant that leaves but pretty close on the bottom three each week, has Sanjaya in last. First time he's been anywhere near that low.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

How do you know this is true? Inside information?

Draft saved Draft deleted