1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

american idol -- 4/17

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shockey, Apr 17, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

First of all, how was it opportunistic for Chris to say his thoughts are with people at VT? The kid's from Virginia, I think he's college age (can't remember) and that was the only time he really had available to talk. It's not like he had an interview first, then sucked, and then decided to try to save it. He had like 10 seconds to say anything he wanted to say. I thought it was very heartfelt, and he looked really struck by it. The cynicism of some of you people makes me want to vomit.

Now, I know Chris sings nasally. I don't necessarily like it. But you guys HAVE heard the lead singer of Rascal Flatts, right? Who sounds nearly identical to Chris with a nasally twang thing? Just checking.

Secondly, God did Blake suck. Suck suck suck. It was flat and weird and gross. No thanks.

1. Jordin (easily)
    2. Melinda (everything else is a huge dropoff)
    3. Phil
    4. LaKisha
    5. Chris
    6. Blake
    7. Sanjaya

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Yeah, Chris looked like he was going to cry, I didn't take it as opportunistic.

I thought Blake was more in tune than LaKisha-- woo-- she was off. I cut Blake a lot of slack. Country isn't his thing and this was really his only 'down' week so far, if it can even be called that.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, I'm not saying he's the second-worst singer in this competition by FAR. I was just saying I thought this performance, he beat out only Sanjaya.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed outloud at that.

And for those who never got to watch Sanjayjay's train wreck...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

HOWEVER, the Idol finals will be the day before the SEC baseball tourney starts in Hooville....

An excuse for beer and brats and other party favors maybe?

6. boots

boots New Member

The Sangaya phenomenom continues. Phil or Blake is history. LaKisha, although she's my favorite, could make a surprise exit. She's a strong singer but hasn't been performing well of late.

7. Coupla things:

Can't really conceive how Chris' attempt to give Tech a shout out was ill-timed. Poorly worded and awkward? Yes. A way to garner votes? C'mon. He's a (former) Hooters manager. He's not that brilliant.

And though my wife thinks I'm insane for thinking like this, but I think in a very small way, the VT shooting does in Sanjaya, and here's why: the guy is a piffle, a stunt, an attention whore that has been a bit of a distraction and a nice little sideshow in an otherwise blah season. I would guess this week that fewer people watched and fewer people voted because, well, voting for a tone deaf Michael Jackson wannabe just to prove a point to the AI producers doesn't seem as noble a calling as it did a week ago.

I may be completely wrong. The people not voting (adults) are the ones least likely to vote for Vajajaya anyway, while 13 year old girls are hardly bothered by the VT shooting and running up their text message count.

ALL of that being said, I voted for Phil for the first time (text message Moddy, if you wanna know). And sorry, I just don't get the Jordin thing. She's a nice kid, but a little too Saved By the Bellish for me. It's obvious to me that the judges have decided on their favorites based on who can sell the most records, regardless of what happens the rest of the way. They look at the $ they lost last year when Daughtry finished 4th and they'll try not to make it happen again.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm misreading the Chris thing, but he had just gotten ripped by the judges and then made an ass of himself telling Simon that "nasal is a style." To suddenly tack on the "Oh, and my heart goes out to Virginia Tech" reminded me of Phil's constant "I was just thinking of my dear, sweet wife" bit when he gets criticized. It just struck me as a calculated attempt to save himself at the end. I could be wrong.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

After finally watching the Sanjaya part, I will have to agree with those who said Seacrest was an utter douchebag. Shut your yap, little man. Why did he find it necessary to jump in and protect Sanjaya? Lame.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, that's how I read it. VaTech wasn't the first thing on his mind, "nasal is a style" was, so it looked odd to see him chime in about VaTech real quick at the end there. Very awkward transition from "nasal is a style."

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Canadian residents not eligible to vote, so I yell at the screen when Sanjaya, the "biggest joke"
    of American Idol comes on...and trust me, it's not anything flattering.

12. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I don't understand the judges' love for Blake. I thought he was awful again last night. That stupid dance he does and his quivering voice ... just awful.

Draft saved Draft deleted