1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

That I'm not sure of ... I've watched this show for the last three years and can't remember each year how it goes.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Secrest said the top five vote getters from boys and girls and one choice from each judge advance, meaning 12 will be eliminated Thursday

3. SellOut

SellOut Member

Should be easy enough for the guys. And to be honest, there's no chance Jessica Sanchez or whatever her name is (the 16 yo) doesn't win UNLESS the tween girls, the soccer moms and the grandmas (who vote) decide the boys are cuter (which has happened 5 of last 6 seasons).

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The girls were clearly stronger than the guys. Jessica, Hollie, Elise, Shannon, Erika and Skylar were better than any of the guys other than Joshua.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've seen at least four girls who could be in it to the end. Definitely better than the men as a whole, although nobody provided the goose-bump moment Joshua did.

Jessica Sanchez is one of those four, although I'm not quite as over the top about her as the judges or SellOut. :) Shannon Magrane ... now, THAT'S some power from a 16-year-old. Just loved the little blonde with the big sound, too.

6. jr/shotglass

They're going through the 12 again as I watch the tape. Here's my take.

Chelsea Sorrell: Just OK, and that isn't going to make it in this bunch. 4/10.

Erika Van Pelt: I like her, just not for the distance. She belted out Heart pretty well here. 6/10.

Jen Hirsh: Like Chelsea Sorrell, not the right year for her to be just OK. 4/10.

Brielle Von Hugel:
    Brought nothing to the table. 3/10.

Hallie Day:
    Something's missing there. Not sure what it is. She seems to know what she's doing, though. 5/10.

Skylar Laine: This is when it got good. Little bit of young Reba there. She'll be around for quite a while. 8/10.

Baylie Brown: Should be going home. 2/10.

Hollie Cavanagh: A real sleeper. BIG voice from a little girl. Long run there. 8/10.

Haley Johnsen: The other dud in the bunch. Some very, very strange key changes there. And although the judges were their usual vanilla selves, I will give Randy credit for telling the girl like it is. 2/10.

Shannon Magrane:
    A little ballsy going with a Kathy Trocolli anthem, but she sure as hell pulled it off. VERY confident on stage. 8/10.

Jessica Sanchez: Very, very talented. I just don't know if we'll all be so crazy about her in six weeks. 7/10.

Elise Testone: Got a feeling, from the judges' reaction, she might be one of those getting saved after the voting is done. They seem to think she has the right stuff. I don't see it translating long-term. 6/10.

One last thing. I love Adele. I have "21." And there should be a moratorium on Adele songs for the remainder of this competition.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

My predictions:

Chelsea Sorrell: Gone.

Erika Van Pelt: Might be a judge's pick.

Jen Hirsh: Gone.

Brielle Von Hugel: Gone.

Hallie Day: In.

Skylar Laine: In.

Baylie Brown: Gone.

Hollie Cavanagh: In.

Haley Johnsen: Gone

Shannon Magrane: Might be a judge's pick.

Jessica Sanchez: In.

Elise Testone: In.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

OK, well, I know I’m a day late with this (Had to work last night and was busy running around today) but here’s my geeky review of the Top 24 girls. (Seen before watching tonight's episode so I could be WAY off base).

Chelsea Sorrell “Cowboy Cassanova”- First off, Chelsea’s mom is hot. I know that’s got nothing to do with her performance but I thought that needed to be said. As for her performance, I’ve got to say, Chelsea sounded radio ready NOW and that’s a far cry from most of the people we heard last night. Maybe it’s just because country music is an easier genre to make it in than true pop music but I liked this. It wasn’t anything special but it was solid. A good effort. Agree with Randy about her needing to stand out more instead of sounding like a Carrie Underwood ripoff. 6/10.

Erika Van Pelt “What about love?”- Got to admit, I’m a little biased because this girl is from my home state and I work in the town she’s from. Got a little nervous when she was slated second as that’s a good spot for someone not memorable and while I liked this ballad for her, this didn’t really stand out that much for me. She sounded, sorry to say, but like a wedding singer. I feel like she could still go a level higher or maybe louder with her talent. She just seems to be holding back. 5/10

Jen Hirsh “One and Only”—I hate Adele (Yeah, yeah, I know) so hearing Jen was going to sing this worried me. And while she did a good job with it, the song bored me to tears. She showed a good little passion in it though so I wouldn’t be surprised if she got pushed through. 5/10.

Brielle Von Hugel “Sitting on the dock of the bay”- I really like this girl and have since I heard her during group round, even if I HATE her mother and while I love the song she chose, I don’t know if it was a good one for her. She was kind of dull to start and she just didn’t have that raw emotion the song requires. She sounded like she was at a karaoke bar and not singing for the crowd ahead of her. Just kind of meh on the whole thing. 4/10

Hallie Day “Feeling Good”- I LOVED this girl when she debuted during the auditions and she’s been damn good during this whole season. While I think she did a solid job here showing her pipes and her ability to convey emotion with her performance, this song kind of bored me a bit. I would have preferred something faster, something more up-tempo. And it didn’t help that she looked quite uncomfortably on stage. Again kind of meh on it. 5/10

Skylar Lane “Stay with me”— Like this girl’s passion and emotion. She looked like she was having some fun up there. Don’t know if she has the chops to be an Idol though. She’s not as good as Chelsea is at country and I don’t think she’s versatile to dabble in other genres. That last note she hit was pretty strong though. Decent performance all around. 5/10

Bayley Brown “Amazed”— This girl is sneaky gorgeous and she has a nice voice but she sounded a bit off during this song. Maybe it’s because I’ve heard so many versions of it, I don’t know. Either way, she was the third best country act of the night and that’s not a good thing for her chances of making the cut. 3/10

Hollie Cavanagh “Reflection”—I don’t know what it is about this girl but I really, really like her. She’s just SO cute. She might be my Season 11 version of Haley Reinhart. The first half of the song, I was writing her off because this track is just so sleep-inducing but, wow, she gave me goosebumps (Or as J-LO would say “Goosies”) as the song went on. She freaking NAILED the feeling of this song and, my god, she just shot up to the top of my rankings with this. Wow. Freaking Wow. She nailed the notes and showcased her voice in a way no one else has up to this point. Great job. 8/10.

Haley Johnsen “Sweet Dreams”—I had a hard time listening to this performance. Not because it was bad but because they kept showing some creepy ass eyes behind her. Whoever came up with that decision needs their head examined. Totally took away from the performance. As for how she did, I thought it was OK. Nothing amazing. Would have liked to hear her voice on something a little more powerful and fun. This was totally forgettable. 3/10.

Shannon Magrane “Go Light Your World”— Man, what is it about these girls picking songs that are just awful and boring? Don’t get me wrong, Shannon was great here but, my goodness, I thought this was American Idol not American Nyquil? Loved her voice. Would like to hear her in something more interesting. 5/10
    Jessica Sanchez “Love you, I do”— Was the house band extra loud here or was this girl just that quiet? I could barely hear her when she started and it was spotty throughout. She looked comfortable on stage and really at ease with the song, which are good qualities to have but I worry about her being able to connect with the audience if she’s that quiet throughout. Still she showed a lot of good here and she definitely belongs. Top 13? I don’t know but she’s certainly gifted. 6/10.

Elise Testone “One and only”—More Adele? WTF. And the same song? Are you shitting me? At least here, unlike Jen, Elise made this song her own and showcased her abilities really well. Loved the fire in her voice and loved the piano start. She looked like she was having fun as well and that’s a crucial component with connecting with the crowd. Nice last note as well. While I hate the song, I didn’t hate this so I guess that’s a good thing. 6/10.

NOTES: 1. LOVED that Randy said they were soft with the boys. Hard to disagree with that analysis and it’s refreshing to hear. 2. A ‘Do do’ joke? Really? Seriously? 3. Loved seeing Shannon tower over Seacreast. Funny stuff.

Line of the night “I need to be exposed”.

RANKINGS:
    1. Hollie Cavanagh
    2. Chelsea Sorrell
    3. Erika Van Pelt
    4. Jessica Sanchez
    5. Elise Testone
    6. Hallie Day
    7. Skylar Lane
    8. Brielle Von Hugel
    9. Shannon Magrane
    10. Jen Hirsh
    11. Bayley Brown
    12. Hayle Johnsen

So, with the top-24 completed, I would like to see the following people survive the cut.

Boys- Jermaine Jones, Joshua Ledet, Aaron Marcellus, Heejun Han, Chase Likens.
    Girls- Hollie Cavanagh, Chelsea Sorrell, Erika Van Pelt, Jessica Sanchez, Else Testone
    Judge’s Saves (Based on my personal feelings, not on how the top-24 went): Hallie Day, Brielle Von Hugel, Colton Dixon

And that’s it for me. Now I’ll see how wrong I really was with tonight’s episode. Be back to comment shortly.

9. jr/shotglass

Somebody post up here who advanced. I'm at work.

EDIT: I saw them on USA Today website. I didn't really get a good look at the guys, but the females went pretty much as I expected.

But the USA Today reviewer said Elise Testone's performance vaulted her to the front of the pack. I sure didn't see that.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Elise was fantastic. She's the best girl by a mile.
    Van Pelt put herself in with tonight's performance.
    However, the talent is on the guy's side. I can't remember how they do this ... anyone can get eliminated now, right?
    The favorites have to be Elise - total package, Ledet - who sings his ass off and looks like Will Smith after he ate the shellfish on Hitch - Philip Squared - because he's Dave Matthews and is going to kill everyone with his cover songs - and Colton - most talented.
    The girl singers will get voted off first because they're good, but not great.
    I'm curious to see how Heejun does. He's not the best singer, but - stereotype coming up - the Asians are gonna vote him deep into this contest. Maybe top five.
    My darkhorse is Jermaine.
    Final two is Elise and Philip, Philip wins.

11. jr/shotglass

Did she perform something else tonight? Because I thought little Reba (Laine) and the blonde (Cavanagh) were clearly ahead of her last night. And I would have chosen Shannon Magrane over her, too. If only to give daddy Joe another chance to punch out Tyler.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

How is Bayley Brown "sneaky gorgeous?" My mom told me she was dating Tebow's brother.

I have no life.

Draft saved Draft deleted