1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2012

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

It's actually a grueling process, and people who are selected actually go through like 3-4 auditions at their own cost. The judges (JLo, Steven and Randy) actually only end up seeing about 200-300 per city.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/15310288/ns/today-entertainment/t/i-want-be-idol-truth-behind-auditions/#.TxhGKYFn_9U

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I found it ironic that SNL did a skit about this -- as the show continues to have an intense lack of self-awareness about its quality.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Haven't people said this for 30 years?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Actually, what he said was worse. Magrane asked him how things were in Boston and he said "hot, humid and happenin' ... just like your daughter."

And I thought the last guy was really good. I was hoping he wouldn't be a country guy, and he turned out to be kind of a Dave Matthews type.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I didn't think the last guy was great ... kind of like a bad Casey Abrams. Actually, nobody has blown me away yet.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Of course it is. It's so uncool now that it's cool again. ;)

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Change the title of this thread to "American Idol: Jailbait"
    Anyway, I think the ratings decline is easily explained: long-time fans hate the tryout weeks. They're predictable and boring.
    Rating increase once they get to the top 24.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this ... the tryouts are feeling more and more contrived. I feel Hollywood week will feel the same, and the only stuff worth watching will be the start of the live shows.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to think they should re-name this show "Parade of Filthy Whores Who Want to Make Out with Steven Tyler."

10. Can't disagree about Simon, but the show definitely got worse when he left. So maybe he is just a teensy bit important. Even though he's a wanker.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Just posting here so that I get to see the replies. Haven't watched any of the new episodes yet but am about to embark on a marathon of the entire season thanks to a fully-loaded DVR, some free time and a wife that's already asleep. :)

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A wife WHO'S already asleep.

I'm still very meh on this season as a whole.

Draft saved Draft deleted