1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

Paul McDonald's voice is smooth. Very easy.

Think that guy could go out there and make a lot of money if he gets good songs. Could see an album by him doing very well.

Casey Abrams has a lot of confidence, and it works. He's a lot like Will Ferrell to me.

Think those two are the early leaders.

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I really liked McDonald early on, but last night he just sounded like he was doing a Rod Stewart impersonation, complete with the same intonations and a vaguely English accent. I think Casey Abrams is the hands-down favorite.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Finally got around to watching this. My god, Jacob Lusk is amazing. That's my favorite performance by Luther, and he knocked it out the park.

Amazing.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Taking everything into consideration - vocal ability, songwriting ability, stage presence - I think Paul McDonald is the most marketable contestant at this point. As we know, that doesn't always work out.

He's got some great Youtube videos up from bands of his past (or maybe current).

James Durbin is on the show two years too late, and the novelty of Casey Abrams will wear off in due time. I'm not sure what to think about Jacob Lusk. Damn, the guy can sing, but where does he fit in the musical landscape? And when they start filming these crappy Ford commericals, how are some of these guys (Paul McDonald, most notably) going to look?

And for what it's worth, Brett Lowenstern's performance was flat-out horrible. It was tough to watch.

5. imjustagirl

Exactly like David Cook?

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I only started watching two years ago ... was he that bad?

7. imjustagirl

No. He just ... wasn't really pop. He had that same look as McDonald. Floppy emo hair. hold on.

2-minute mark.

8. imjustagirl

9. SteveRep44

SteveRep44 Member

This is going to be a brutal cut. In the years I've watched, I've learned one thing -- I don't trust the viewers who vote.

I think Durbin, Lusk and Abrams are getting through. I'm not as sold on McDonald as most. They say his quirkiness is one of his best qualities -- I just find it .... quirky. There's a big pack of middlin' and it will be interesting to see what catches the viewers' eye.

The vote may very well leave the judges choosing between two should-go's but having just one wild card to use.

EDIT: I knew I forgot someone -- Dorsey. Way too full of himself and made an absolutely horrific song choice.

10. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I absolutely love Paul McDonald.

I cannot wait for Jordon Dorsey to go home. Ditto for that Brett kid.

And Jacob Lusk has a tremendous voice, but I don't see where you market his style.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Top 5 I think will move on
    James Durbin
    Casey Abrams
    Jacob Lusk
    Scott McCreary
    Stefarno Langone (gets the little girl vote)

Top 5 I would like to move on
    Paul McDonald
    James Durbin
    Tim Halpern
    Scotty McCreary
    Casey Abrams

While he picked a horrible song last night, Tim Halpern is underrated. Jordan Dorsey really blew it. He said that wasn't "his style." Why did you do it? Did someone hold a gun to your head and said, "Sing Usher!"

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

James Durbin is your champion, we can save about three months here.

Draft saved Draft deleted