1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Jennifer made Cara and godawful Ellen seem like they never existed. Cara may be a better "critic" but Jennifer is the shining light on this show. Tyler's trying to find his way. No Simon changes the whole approach. Ellen was lost. Her pattern of criteria was 1) mumbling, 2) saying something about stage presence, 3) picking up on whatever Randy said before she spoke or 4) crack a joke. She was way over her head.

I thought the girl whose dad was Randy's coach, the pudgy 15 y/o, the homeless shelter twin dude and the mother of the special needs child stood out. Pretty good voices, not sure though if it's the "story" I'm attracted to, but that's how AI guides you into the voting round. The pudgy kid won't win though. It's like David Archuleta. He's marketable only to kids and grammas.

BTW, I wonder how that young kid from Oklahoma City is doing that Ellen began her own record label for. I haven't heard a peep out of that. Maybe she realized she needs to parcel that out and be what she is...a comedienne and a talk show host.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, they're saying ratings are down 18 percent from last season, which was already down considerably.

They should pay Cowell whatever he wants and add him as the fourth judge. Otherwise, this show may not survive.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

26 million viewers. Crushed the other shows in its timeframe.

While I think the show has lost its fastball, it isn't going anywhere with those numbers.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Think about the overhead though... Lopez is making $12 mil a year. Tyler is making $16 mil a year. Seacrest is making $15 mil a year. I have no idea what Jackson is making, but probably around $5 mil.

You're probably right. It's not going anywhere, but an 18 percent dip right after adding Lopez and Tyler has to hurt a lot.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

$48 million to do a seasonal show. And we wonder what the hell is wrong with our economy.
    But why is Jackson making a third of what Tyler is? That's pathetic.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think people are just sick of these audition rounds....same thing over and over.

But god, i love Steven Tyler.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Steven Tyler is 62. Unreal.

I remember taking a Hollywood home tour one time in LA. We stopped on an overlook that gave us a clear view into 3/4 of one backyard. It was Jennifer's. Big tennis court took most of it. Across the way and up the hill there was a party going on..you could barely hear music coming from that direction and people were out on this patio with drinks. It was Leonardo DiCaprio's.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

This show has definitely tanked when a week and an episode go by between remarks.

Bag it boys, it's done.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, what?

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Six days go by, plus one night of auditions, and no one speaks about it. Contrast that with years past.

Even one of the most touching stories of love and commitment (the guy with the fiancee with the brain trauma - "what kind of man would I be if I walked away from my vows (two months before the wedding after this?"), not to mention Stephen Tyler's reaction to her when they brought her in the studio, appears set to save the sinking ratings.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

my 78-year-old mom has been hating on tyler so far so i hoped she saw that last night but she had fallen asleep. it really was touching.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Ratings were excellent last night. Steven Tyler is receiving a lot of praise as a new judge - perhaps the good word of mouth is helping boost the numbers, too.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/01/27/simon-who-american-idol-rolls-on/80468

And I enjoyed the CPA. Goofy dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted