1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2011

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by secretariat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

How is there not a thread yet? Is everyone abandoning the show for The X Factor?

Anyway, what did everyone make of the Randy-Tyler-J-Lo vibe?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I haven't figured it out yet. Steven Tyler gives me nightmares, but he was funny at times. And J-Lo eventually became willing to turn people down.

It wasn't as horrible for first auditions as normal, but no one really bowled me over. I do like the vibe the three judges have, though. No one's the "mean one," but they're not overly sugarcoating as a group either.

3. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I enjoyed the new judges. Good vibe so far...

Like IJAG said, no one seemed destined for greatness, but it was also less annoying than previous audition shows.

I'm still in...

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Judges worked better than I expected. High points for me were Steven Tyler asking the guy if he ate a lot of paint chips as a child, and Steven Tyler telling a 16 year old that her skirt was "showin' just the right amount."

Having said that.... some pretty mediocre singers were praised like crazy. There are a whole lot of people going to Hollywood who would have gotten tossed before. (To name one, the singing waitress who did "God Bless the Child" was not good at all.) I hope there are some good ones we're missing, because I'm uninspired so far.

But yeah, the less-cruel vibe seems to be working.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And one other thing - the mural behind the singers looked like a shot from 9/11. Weird.

6. imjustagirl

Apparently I was one of the few watching.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/20/american-idol-season-10-premiere-ratings/

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i liked the new judges but i'll miss simon. as for contestants, the 16-year-old from north carolina is my early favorite simply because of her personality.

8. pffft

pffft Member

I watched a couple of seasons when I was in school, but have fell off recently. I'm working at night, and it's too much work to catch up by watching online, especially when there are multiple episodes per week.

I suspect my life will go on just fine without, but maybe I'll get back into it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm so glad I stopped watching at the beginning of last season.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I liked Jennifer Lopez more than I thought I would. There is a sweetness to her I didn't expect.

Now she needs to toughen up and not feel bad about booting bad singers.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Actually, with the final numbers in, American Idol held up really well last night compared to past year-to-year declines. It delivered almost a 10.0 Adult 18-49 rating, which is higher than any television program outside of the NFL. I am sure Fox was more than happy with the premiere numbers -- let's see how it does moving forward.

12. imjustagirl

Just starting on tonight's episode. But I'm mostly happy for the death of theme nights and making people sing outside their preferred genres.

Draft saved Draft deleted