1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idol 2009

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oz, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Yup ... I liked Kara, too.

2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

That's interesting; I feel the opposite. I dislike the "bad" auditions. I just can't watch them.

If they're genuinely deluded about their talent and/or showing signs of personality disorders, developmental problems and the like, I get too depressed to watch. It also upsets me that AI is exploiting them for a few cheap at-'em laughs.

On the other hand, if the "contestants" seem to believe that they can get on TV just by acting like an obnoxious idiot, it angers me that AI has proved them right. It also depresses me.

In sum, I find the "suffering of talentless hacks" both depressing and infuriating. Just not my thing.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I had tentative plans to watch American Idol last night. Then a little thing called a freelance writing assignment got in the way.

Did I miss any train wrecks?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Mainly a deliciously uncomfortable moment between the new judge, Kara, and a girl who thought she could make her way to Hollywood by auditioning in a bikini ... and was right.

She wasn't a terrible singer, but far from the best. Kara tried to demonstrate that she could put more into her song, and the girl replied that Kara's demonstration was worse than what the girl herself had done. A series of "Oh, no, you DID-n't" ensued.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Ratings down 10% from last year...not a great start.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2009/01/breaking-americ.html

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Canadian Idol has been cancelled for this year, in case anyone was thinking of a good followup when AI is over.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Because of NCIS and The Mentalist, I'm going to be watching a lot less of Idol than I have in the past.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I saw Mentalist (it was taped instead of Idol...grrr) for the first time. Good show, but really mellowly vibed for a police procedural. Feels like Ghost Whisperer.

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the show last night and count me among the people who like the new judge, thought the chemistry between the 4 judges was pretty good.

I am waiting to see who the "professional" will be this year. My early money is on the blond girl who was complemented for her quiet confidence and responded that 'she just hadn't had the right opportunity" to make it big yet.

I would not be surprised if at some point in her past she has had a recording contract, not unlike arm tattoo girl from last year.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

carly smithson, michael johns, kristy lee cook, robbie carrico, syesha mercado: all either had previously signed (and failed) with record labels or had other professional experience on tv, etc.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, two former finalists have sex tapes out. The girl who was on celebrity rehab Jessica something and one other one, Olivia something who was actually quite cute.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Nobody other than Cook and Archuleta have had any success from last year's cast, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted