1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Idiots

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Although I have a disdain for the lack of intellectual curiosity of the American public, I know there are hurdles for those seeking information about the world around them.

Exhibit No. 943,878 - Imus was interviewing Dana Priest of the WP about her expose on the horrendous conditions at Walter Reed. Yes, the story about how our brave vets, injured in the line of duty, are being treated to black mold, rats, etc.

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ... the fine folks at MSNBC figured the viewers must have been bored of that b/c they interupted Imus' interview with 'breaking news' alert. I'm thinking, a terrorist attack or a natural disaster.

I'm bracing myself for the worst. Surely, there must be some very pressing, must-see TV since Priest got only two questions and never really a chance to delve into the atrocities our vets face at WR.

I wanted to throw my TV out the window when the camera panned down a Florida street where we are told "in less than a half hour Anna Nicole's family will be appearing before a judge."

A true national tragedy, explained orally so the Stupid Americans don't have to read, is preempted so we can watch cars drive up and down a street. So we could see family members of a quasi-celebrity.

I no longer blame Americans for their ignorance. The local news here teases Britney's haircut (today and yesterday) but I've yet to see one of our brave TV reporters interview a family member of a killed soldier in the four years since we've been in Iraq.

It if bleeds (in other parts of the world) it leads but we have no tragedies here. Buy Coke. Watch Norbit. Consume. Consume. Consume.

Stupid people are sending me into a Lewis Blackesque fit of rage.

If it weren't for my horse.....

A starbucks across the streek from a Starbucks ....

Draft saved Draft deleted