1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Gangster.....this looks like a must-see movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 8, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Directed by Ridley Scott.

Denzel Washington & Russell Crowe.

Just shot to the top of my list even though it's not out until November

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Looks great. It's based on the story of Frank Lucas, who single-handedly created and controlled the smack trade in NYC in the 1970s. Supposedly he had all kinds of ways of getting the drugs into the country, including smuggling it in inside the coffins of dead soldiers being returned from Vietnam. Interesting guy, who is still around, believe it or not--in his 60s or 70s. I actually met him.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

What happened after that is a bit hazy, I presume?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ha. Yeah. I didn't meet him recently (well, within the last 6 years), when he was an old man who tells stories about how he was once worth tens of millions... You guessed it. He was my supplier back in the 70s, when I was a 6-year-old smack fiend. When I couldn't pay for my habit, I was a runner for him and when I got really hooked, I did tricks up in Harlem on a fix-to-fix basis.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Does he look like Denzel Washington? :)

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

6-year-old smack fiend. That's almost as great a phrase as Playcinthros (sp?) describing a fat-assed swimmer.

Sounds like a Lifetime movie for you, Ragu. "I Was A Six-Year-Old Smack Fiend!"

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I looked this up on Wikipedia, and one of Lucas' contemporaries, Nicky Barnes, has an autobiography out called "Mr. Untouchable," which apparently comes from the moniker the NYT dubbed him. Also, Mark Cuban's media outfit, HDnet, is working on a movie about him, with Marc Levin directing.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

So YOU were the subject of Janet Cooke's feature?

Wow.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Just saw the trailer while waiting for Oceans 13. Looks like a great flick.

Draft saved Draft deleted