1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Gangster is awesome

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Oct 25, 2007.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Oh yeah, absolutely. And with no explanation, either.

Also, I probably misheard, but I swear I heard Russell Crowe throw in a "mate" at the end of a sentence during one of the yakking-about-the-mugshots-on-the-bulletin-board scenes.

2. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

yeah, it was tight. But they could have minimized the Russell Crowe part. Every time he showed up on screen I wanted to fast forward.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Thought the movie was very good. Denzel was definately better than Crowe. Also liked how the RZA played a cop--filled in nicely. Read a recent article with Mayme Johnson (Bumpy Johnson's widow) who basically said Frank Lucas was Johnson's flunky and is lying about most the events. Is she saying that because she has a book coming out? could be. Just thought it was interesting.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if she was right. Lucas is a douche. The man killed a lot of people(many of them were teenagers) and he should still be rotting in prison.

Having said that, the movie was excellent. Denzel was fabolous(surprise surprise) and Crowe was great as well. A lot of memorable scenes in this movie. My favorites where probably
    -Lucas and the Italian mob leader talking about monopolies
    -Lucas talking to his brothers right before he kills Tango
    -Lucas breaking one of his own rules("the loudest man in the room is the weakest man in the room") by wearing the chincilla coat.
    - And of course when Lucas and Roberts have their conversation

P.S. Those are just off the top of my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted