1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Gangster is awesome

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I didn't know you were a publisher.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Great movie.

Interview with Frank Lucas and Nicky Barnes.

http://nymag.com/guides/money/2007/39948/

Story that spurred the movie.

http://nymag.com/nymag/features/3649/

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Crowe doesn't play a character anything like the one from Romper Stomper, huh?

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Interesting article. Lucas and Barnes are down with Hillary.

5. Saw it Thursday night. I really liked it. I was slightly disappointed in Crowe, but Washington was absolutely terrific.

I'm sure it will get some Oscar play, but I doubt it's good enough to be the winner.

For what it's worth, the 10 minutes or so Washington and Crowe are on the screen together are nothing short of tremendous.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I think I know what you're talking about, and I found it so outrageously unrealistic that it just about took me out of the movie, even two hours in.

Solid flick overall, though.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Oh man. We just got back. I want to see this one again, and I might even pay to see it at the theater second time. Been a really good run of movies in the past few months.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Excellent film.

Watched it this afternoon at the local theater with Ms. Bobcat and a few friends from the newsroom, all of whom responded similarly. Strong performances from Crowe, Washington and a host of others (including Common and another hip-hop artist my coworkers needed to clue me in to), beautiful sets and shoots (even the projects) and themes that carried throughout the nearly two hours, 40 minutes.

There is a reason more than 6,000 IMDB.com users already voted this movie among the top 200.

9. Not trying to be a downer, but I thought it was just OK, probably because my expectations were so high.
    I was hoping to see something "new" and it looked like an amalgam of about 10 different gangster films.
    Not saying it stunk, but I just wasn't wowed.

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I saw it on Saturday, and I echo the comments of others who said it was good but not great. It was an interesting film, but nothing earth-shattering. Definitely not Best Picture material, but I'm sure it will make good money, and Denzel gave a strong performance. Not Russell Crowe's best work, though.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Spent the whole time hoping it would get better.

Not a complete dud, but not up to the high hopes I had.

Could someone post a heavily spoiler-laden post about the unconvincing moment? I had a couple of candidates, but I'm not sure which specific one you're referring to.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

****SPOILER****

They would seriously let the arresting officer, who just passed the bar, prosecute this enormous, complex drug case? You've got to be kidding. If the guy did have a role in the court case in real life, it sure as hell wasn't as lead prosecutor.

Draft saved Draft deleted