1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'American cities are booming - for rich young college grads without kids'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You should left the grocery store. Your son has no right to eat if he's going to be like that.

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Quant is just a bad parent because his small child had a meltdown. No other possible explanation.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

We went to the theatre on a Friday night with another couple to watch the play The Little Prince.

Quite a few patrons who gave us some sideways looks as we took our seats.

Out 8 and 4 year old did really well as did my friend with his wife and twin 5 year old boys.

We use our discretion on what kind of restaurants we go to with the kids but have also been taking them since they were pretty young so they could start to learn how to act when you're out in public.

Had a few meltdowns where we ended up leaving but they did seem to learn.

On a completely unrelated note when my daughter was 3 we took her to a National spring training game. She lasted 2 innings including not having a Chipper Jones foul ball smoke her in the head when my 1 eyed father in law made an amazing one arm catch.

I was carrying her back to the car a bit later and dripping sweat when some older guys who were tailgating in the middle of the game yelled at me to come over for a beer.

We ended up shooting the shit and drinking beers while he busted out some toys for my daughter to play with.

Became a Nats fan after that.

It seems if the parents are inconsiderate shuts then the kids will be too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I taught my daughter that if we go to games, we don't leave early (for me, this goes back 40-plus years when my brother and I left a Dodgers-Padres game early and missed an epic fight in which Joe Ferguson broke his hand punching Bill Greif in the head). As for baseball, I told her that we weren't going to a game until she sat and watched a whole game on TV. Once she did it, we ventured to Dodger Stadium. She watched the whole game on the video board. Sidebar: Many years later, we were in a sandwich shop and Shawn Green was there. She said, "I don't know who he is, but I used to have a lunch pail with his picture on it."

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We've talked about this as well. We decided the wonderment and magic a toddler and infant experience, yet will never remember, is not worth it.

I think we've established a reasonable target of taking them when they are 8 and 5.

Ace likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whenever you take them, do it when the rest of the world is in school. Which makes it a nice spot for a fifth birthday.

Hokie_pokie and YankeeFan like this.
  7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The FAA ought to have a rule: Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, on all flights to Orlando, luggage can fly in the passenger cabin; all kids go in the cargo hold.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mine did the same thing at an NBA game.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Does anyone ever call them bigots for it?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nope.

Those fucking cocksucking faggots truly have it all.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have called them bigots, but I didn't want to ruin my prospects if I decide to be gay at some later date.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We had a Double-A park within walking distance of my house when the kids were young, so from a cost and convenience standpoint it was no big deal to pick up and leave when they hit their limit. We used to take their strollers to the field. They were also scared to death of the mascot, Rally Raven, as toddlers.

Over the years I apparently taught them too well that you don't leave until the game is over. My son who has Down syndrome is 25 now and still will not leave even a blowout with frigid weather until the game is over.

Draft saved Draft deleted