1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Chopper -- Season six running thread (OCC on the splits)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by StaggerLee, May 1, 2009.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Well stated.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Who's the guy with the long?
    I don't watch the show much anymore, but he started back when Viniie was still around.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Rick? He's the guy that looks like he'd be right at home with a white T-shirt and a pack of cigs rolled up in the sleeve.

The other long hair guy is Lee Bob. He started after Vinny, though. He was someone they brought on when they were overworked and needed some more hands.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Rick, that's guy.
    He seems like the best guy in the building.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is the end. Right now, literally.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gfvIY1_VIXpriqxANlYeuCZd1CwA

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

sure seems like it lasted more than 6 years

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So that's two families ripped apart after being on reality shows. Congrats TLC.

8. StaggerLee

It's really unfortunate, because the first couple of seasons (back when it was on Discovery) were about the bikes, with the family squabbles serving as comedic relief.

If it makes any sense, I think the show took a bad turn when it started to focus more on the drama behind the scenes. I think that was about the time the company made some changes in management and I think the "new management" egged Senior on about Junior and almost forced the split between Senior and Junior. Then, once those early shows started to re-air on TV and the Teutuls had to start answering questions about their relationship instead of the bikes, I think it created even more problems.

Maybe now that the show is off the air, the family can get back together and get back to making great bikes. Because even though what they've done since Junior left has been pretty good, they haven't had a "Wow" bike since Vinny and Junior were working together.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I stopped watching when Junior was designing the dog park. Haven't missed them at all.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Did anyone watch the finale and can give me a rundown?
    I've figured the rift was maybe really there but blown out of proportion by direction and editing, but I read yesterday where Sr. is taking Paulie to court over company stock or something. I guess this really is a blueprint for how not to treat your family.

11. StaggerLee

If it was the finale, then it wasn't built up that way, nor did it end like a finale. Basically the episode went like this: Kobalt came into OCC shop to ask OCC to build a bike for their partnership with Lowe's. Senior loves tools, loves Kobalt, happy to do the project. Senior celebrates 25 years of sobriety by allowing his guys to have beers in the shop after work (not really, but that's how it was edited). Senior goes to Kansas City to unveil their first OCC-themed restaurant, Backfire BBQ. Looks pretty cool, like a Hard Rock on steroids.

Junior holds big supper at nearby Italian restaurant to make a life-changing decision that you couldn't see coming 15,000 miles away. He announces he and his girlfriend are engaged to be married. Junior and Mikey go to a food bank to volunteer during their Thanksgiving food drive. Mikey announces that he's moving out of his childhood home, says he's ready to move on to new things. He and Junior go through some old stuff, bringing back memories. At the shop, Senior is talking about the good ole days, wondering what the hell went wrong. (probably just really creative editing).

Senior has Thanksgiving dinner at his house, but his sons are a no-show. His wife's kids are there, though, and both he and his wife talk about how they wish his sons were there.

OCC finishes the Kobalt bike and unveil it at a local Lowe's. Lowe's workers go nuts, the same old stuff. And that was that. Just a little brief summary at the end about how the family is going their separate ways. Nothing to signify it was the final episode or anything.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My guess is when this was made it wasn't supposed to be a series finale. Just a few months ago on Larry King they did an interview where Sr. said he expected it to keep going.

One thing's for sure, my bet is by the end of the year OCC as a company will be in a serious world of hurt (if it isn't already) within a year. Out of sight, out of mind. I'm sure they did more business through retail t-shirts, etc. than they did selling bikes. Without the show, OCC t-shirts aren't going to be as popular. Having just moved into that white elephant of a new building, the creditors are going to be beating down the doors.

Draft saved Draft deleted