1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America Hates Democrats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 18, 2008.

1. It should read "America Hates Democracy".

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Now that's going too far.

3. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Thanks to Dubya, Cheney and all the other dumb fucks from the past few years, Democrats shouldn't have a terrible time winning elections. But in 10 years, Republicans will be the dominant party again. Why? Because Congress never does a damn thing and voters have short memories. They think, "Well this party's not doing any good. Better vote for the other one." Meanwhile, no matter who's in Congress, the members will be focusing more on campaigning than doing anything.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Uh, how is that Bush & Cheney's fault? That's been the American way for years.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Actually, it should read "Democrats hate America."

OK, OK. I'm just kidding. Lighten up already. :D :D

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

As long as their rep, senator bring home the pork barrel spending, people will keep voting for them. That is one of the things that I like about McCain is that he has railed against unncessary spending for years (11-billion a month in Iraq notwithstanding). And I think that America operates better with one branch of government with one party and the other in the other party's control. See, Clinton, GOP Congress, Reagan Dem Congress. Bush with GOP, not so good.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right... These things work in cycles. If Obama wins, the republicans will take back Congress in about two years. If McCain wins, the dems will likely stay in control. I think most people like it that way.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Aug. 15, 1945.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Know what we should do? Allow people in other parts of the country to vote for Congress. No names, no partys, just an outline of what a person stands for. People in Tennessee votes for South Dakota, California-Texas, Delaware-new Jersey. Hey, it cuts down in campaign spending and puts the focus back on the issues.

(I say this half-tongue in cheek, but we have to find some better people somewhere)

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

We need better voters, not better candidates.

And that's a much tougher fix.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I think it's more a case of "America hates politicians."

The one time in the last 40 years we've had the budget under control was when the Prez had the line-item veto. Clinton (the only Prez that had it) used it to veto a bunch of pork-barrel spending.

NYC sues him because he used it to eliminate some pork headed there. The SC says the line-item veto gave too much executive power and struck it down. Earmarks shoot up, pork shows up all over the place, and the deficit gets out of control again.

Pork-barrel spending and earmarks don't see party. The back-room horse-trading for votes doesn't see party, either. That's the stuff about politics we don't see, and if we did, we'd throw all the bums out. Including our own.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid. damn solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted