1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America ... going once, twice......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 13, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Anybody with a sense of history can remember in the 1970s when "the Japanese" were going to buy up the United States.

Funny thing, their run ended and we're still here.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

JR, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Japanese also own a large share of the golf courses on P.E.I.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't know but wouldn't be surprised.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Sorry, HH, I screwed up the quote function.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I don't care who owns Pebble Beach. For $400 a round, I ain't supportin' him.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Japanese hit their economic ceiling.

Given current oil prices, the Arabs aren't anywhere close to such limitations.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

All we have to do to screw the Arabs is to take the trillions of barrels of oil we've made "off-limits" in a kowtow to environmental groups and put them on-line, and the price of oil will come right back down.

Maybe not back down to $8/barrel levels like they were a decade ago, but down to the point where it's not as painful for us to go to the gas pump.

(and spare me the alternative energy crap ... even if we are able to develop it and use it, the Chinese and Indians will still be relying on oil, and they'll be buying it from the Arabs instead of us).

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

100% of the presidency.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well played.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A Bush presidency? Fur shuuuuure.

"If you liked the Nazis . . . you'll LOVE the Saudis!"

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Oh but the good Saudis are wanting to reduce the price of oil to a realistic level. Ya think that's out of the goodness of their hearts or to drag America back away from the debate of self-reliance?

Draft saved Draft deleted