1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America ... going once, twice......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

No link to be found yet but Fox News said the Chrysler Building in NYC has been sold to some Arab oil company which is interested, according to the report, in more high-dollar real estate targets. Four-bucks a gallon to them, and in return, they take our land and ou
    wealth.

I know this isn't anything new. But pretty soon, there won't be anything here to buy.

I thought France owned more of America than any country. Anyone know the breakdown of who owns the most of us?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Japan's got to be right up there. But I think they've moved on to buying up Canada.

We were in Banff a couple of summers ago and I was shocked at how many Japanese tourists were there. So many in fact that a lot of the stores had signs in Japanese. I asked one of the locals about it and he told me that most of the real estate there was in Japanese hands.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I understand Britain is the leader among foreign owners of property. Japan did lead once but had to bail when the Asian market cratered in the 90s.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And Vancouver.

Lot of Hong Kong money went to Canada's Pacific Rim when it was handed over to the Communists.

However, if you REALLY want to see Japanese tourists, go to Prince Edward Island where Green Gables (as in Anne of ) is a pilgrimmage. There's a whole Japanese wedding business on the island.

5. I can't find the list, but I believe the Dutch are No. 1 or No. 2 on the list of who owns the most of the U.S.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I always figured our government owes so much money to the Chinese banking system that they'll foreclose on us eventually.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Someday soon, it will be Mexico. Just waiting for the right time to launch La Reconquista! You've all been warned!

(evil laugh) hahahahhahahahhahhahahahha (evil laugh)

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I know the Saudis own a good deal of the country. Don't remember an exact percentage.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

That's how it will all come down. We're bankriupting ourselves on Homeland Security initiatives like frisking kids and grammas and the other dumb spy shit that is only effective on regular folks owing back taxes and the terrorists and their enablers who bankroll them buy America. They're brilliant. Meanwhile, it takes 10 Congressmen, five judges, a president and five cabinet members to screw in a light bulb, then charge America $4,000 for the bulb.

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

WE don't own the Chrysler Building. Some company does. It might be based in the United States, but I'm not receiving dividend checks, Christmas cards or a free tour. As such, it hardly matters to me who owns the building. The Us vs. Them mentality sailed long ago.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

JR: Why are the Japanese so into Anne of Green Gables?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Teenage Japanese girls are in love with Anne.

This is about as good an explanation as I've seen:

http://www.yukazine.com/lmm/e/japanne.html

It's even more bizarre if you've ever been to Prince Edward Island which has a population of less than 150,000 people, almost all of whom are of English/Irish/Scottish ancestry

Draft saved Draft deleted