1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America, circa 1953. Courtesy of the Romney family

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 8, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dennis Kuccinich, Maggie Gyllenhall and Merle Haggard, all in one post.

I bow in your general direction, sir.

The Lady Obama, for what it's worth, mocks her husband's ears often on the stump. Big ears... Good listener?

2. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

Anyone surprised at that photo of Romney's family in any way has obviously never been to Utah.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Actually he isn't right.

You don't have to be poor or of another race to "relate to the average American family."

Seriously, this entire post is just a flaming pile of BULLSHIT!

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've been to SLC and it was the creepiest city I've ever been in.

5. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

JR: How so?

I grew up in Utah (although not Salt Lake City), and what I'm saying is Utah is 95 percent white as of the 2001 census. I graduated from High School in the 90s, and yes I certainly knew people from single-parent homes, but the majority of my friends came from families with a minimum of five children.

One of my friends, his family had at least one son starting on the offensive line at my high school for the school's first 10 years of existence.

People in Utah tend to get married young and have a lot of kids. My brother, for example, was married with three kids before he was 26. Now he has another one on the way.

I know Romney's not technically from Utah (although, I believe he did go to BYU), but with his cultural background, his family is sure to reflect what Utah is like.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Whitest city I've ever been in. And not just white, but blue eyes and blond hair wihite (which, by the way, describes me).

The only visible minorities seemed to be cleaning the streets.

7. I can assure you, JR, that there are dozens of cities in this country creepier than SLC which, for all its homogenity, is quote pretty and fairly vibrant.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. "Goddammit, I'm the smart one."

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't doubt for a second that if his name were Smith or Jones he'd be leading the polls.

11. I don't doubt for a second that, if his name were Smith or Jones, he'd be selling mutual funds in Houston.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

And if Obama were Barry O'Bama he may have been a 2 term councilman in Des Moines.

Draft saved Draft deleted