1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America, circa 1953. Courtesy of the Romney family

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 8, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

BULL SHIT.
    The title, circa 1953. The condescending post, the disbelief in the existence of the extend happy and intact American Family. YEAH, you pretty much dissed the man's family.

Mitt Romney's philosophy of god and government may not be mine, but he seems to have lived his values, which is alot more than I can say for the opportunistic assholes that are Rudy and Hillary.

and BTW, I know hundreds of these families, I saw them last night at the school Christmas-Winter program

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The photo POO posted is a classic and pretty funny (I've never voted for and am no supporter of GWB, BTW, and eagerly await his successor pretty much no matter who it is.) I joined in the initial knee-jerk fun and posted Schilling's photo. So I'm no 'better' than anyone else.

Some of the posts, though, expose a flavor of bigotry and intolerance I've been lead to believe by some on this site to be bad for America.

But POO's wasn't a funny family photo and is the same as if someone else posted a picture of Clinton on the boat sporting a boner -- irrelevent to the supposed topic at hand. It was hypocritical. That's a pretty tough thing to be called, I admit.

As for who I think I am ... I'm just a mostly anonymous, holier-than-thou guy calling someone I don't know at all out on something I think is childish. Kind of like 90 percent of the people on this board do. It just happens that POO was the person I chose to call out.

IIRC, TigerVols actually made an effort to explain the reason behind the thread. Unless he wants it to be a childish attack on families (which I, again, admit to joining in a disjointed way before he clarified himself) I'd like it to stay on topic, which is a good topic if I'm reading TigerVols' subsequent posts correctly.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nice. I always wondered about the lyrics to that song but never enough to look them up.

Sorry you had to witness it, Fen, but I can't help reacting when one of the board teflons attacks without provocation.

4. Point of Order

What does IIRC mean?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If I remember correctly

6. Point of Order

Well, I didn't get the metaphysics of the thread, either, and thought it was a childish attack on families. So, I figured, who has hurt families more that GWB? And what better way to illustrate the thought than with a picture of GWB giving all these happy families the finger? Thus, the construction of the thought that led me to post such an immature image on what I considered to be an immature thread!

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I guess I could "pass" for Republican then, infiltrate the bastards.

Seriously, put 'em all in food-stained t-shirts and buttcrack-revealing jeans, maybe draw a tattoo on a few of them, pierce a few noses, and you'd probably have no problem with it. The only thing I can see out of the ordinary with the photo is that everyone looks neat and clean. I've never understood why some people are offended by this. I understand why some people choose not to dress this way, but why they take offense just baffles me.

My family contains a mix of liberals and conservatives and I doubt from a family photo you could discern which is which. (That is, if you could take your eyes off my cousin's fake boobs.)

8. Never take sides against the family.

[​IMG]

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

For two points, spot the flaming queen.

[​IMG]

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

At the risk of belaboring and making my original point even less clear:

1. I was not criticizing big families, Mormons, Christmas photos, Khakis, smiling grandkids, 1953, or Bill Clinton's boner.
    2. I was pointing out that Mr. Romney's traditional family Christmas card photo looks more like a bygone era than America of 2007; and therefore some voters [keyword: "some"] might think that while he may indeed be the patriarch of a fine family, he might not have the cultural and social attitude that would make for a good President in a splintered America in 2008.

If you think that the values reflected in the picture illustrate the values you want in a President, then by all means vote for Mr. Romney. And as a Democrat-leaning voter and avowed Obama supporter, I pray that Romney wins the GOP nomination.

[Late aside to Frank Ridgeway: Your post is useless without a picture.]

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And if people are basing who they are voting on by what that candidate's family looks like, I weep for America. Moreso that I generally already do around election time.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Nice to see the Bloods and Crips are on their way to reconciliation.

Draft saved Draft deleted