1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America, circa 1953. Courtesy of the Romney family

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 8, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I originally brought up the whole "same colour shirt" thing on that other thread because I thought it was weird until I realised that Flash's comments notwithstanding, I think it's a distinctly AMERICAN thing. I don't know anybody who's had a family picture done with everybody in the same colour shirt/t-shirt etc.

Now I realise it's a common thing down there.

I must admit I find Zeke's family photo a little disturbing.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow your response really exposes your intellectual limitations.

Where did I say this picture was wrong? Or bad? I'm not making a value judgment on Mitt Romney's religious beliefs or the photogenic family that he is so proud of.

My point is that his family no longer reflects the realities of American life in 2007 for a vast majority of people. As in a majority as a whole comprised of many different minority groups -- while of course there are still plenty of snow white, khaki-wearing wealthy families among the Republican hierarchy and its supporters, that group is now in the minority in America and the sooner the GOP understands this, the better off we all will be.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Chavez family of Caracas can only laugh at your puny reunions. Ha ha!

[​IMG]

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So because he's got a bunch of white people in his family he doesn't understand modern America?

I'm kind of at a loss here. Should they have not taken a family photo? Maybe hired some minorities to stand in?

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think what Tiger is saying is that those photos don't represent the realitiy of the present day family in large parts of North America. There are single parent families, families with same sex parents, multi-racial families.

I don't think Vols is trying to put white people or families down. He's just saying that it's hardly a reflection of all of North American family life in 2007 whereas it more or less was in '57.

Hell, the all-white happy families pictured here are practically a minority in Toronto since half of everyone living in the city (according to the '06 census) wasn't even born in Canada.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

From that photo there's no way of telling if there are any:
    single-parent families
    same-sex parents

The only thing you can be pretty sure of is that his family is full of white people. Lots and lots of white people.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Mao family of 27 Elm Terrace, Beijing (shown here at a recent picnic) are fond of matching outfits. "We mock the indecent cotton of your usurious capitalist shirtfronts!" says Jerry T. Mao (pictured 27th from right, 81st row). "Ha ha!"

[​IMG]

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The photo of the current Chief Justice's family on confirmed-appointment day was the classic of the century, thus far.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Well, that certainly settles the debate.

It also clearly demonstrates someone is almost as mature and competent as the subject in the picture.

Tremendous contribution to the thread!

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Idaho,
    If you don't like my material that's fine. I kinda try to adjust to the maturity level of the thread. You don't see me commenting on your posts that are irrelevant, logically disjointed, or simply not funny. So go fuck yourself with your holier than thou attitude.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Sweet. Another holier-than-thou, poop-doesn't-stink person letting me know I, too, can be holier than thou.

My point is your post had nothing to do with the thread. But was rather just a typical knee-jerk reaction and an opportunity to spew misplaced venom and confirms certain stereotypes.

Bravo.

Go ahead, tell me I'm smug again. It'll help you feel better about yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted