1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America at a Crossroads: Anti-Americans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 3, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think a lot less French people would have died in WWII if they hadn't rolled out the welcome mat for Hitler in 1940.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So fewer people would have died if they stood up to the tanks and machine guns? Interesting.

Do you think fewer Iraqis would have died if they had put up a better fight initially against the US of A?

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

This analogy clarifies your thinking for me, Ace. I've now had enough of this thread.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sometimes not fighting against a superior force is your best option. Sometimes fighting to the death is the way to go. To mock all French is asinine. The people of the resistance were quite brave.

In Iraq, had the army/anti-US people fought initially, they would have given us a clear target and been wiped out. Instead they hid and are fighting from the shadows. It's bedeviling, but it's clearly a successful strategy.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

My Unfellow Americans,

I feel badly for your appalling approval numbers in the cradle of civilization. Truly. And I applaud your testosterone-charged patriotism and self-regard inspired by the chicken-hawk pillars of the administration.

I guess you're not much accustomed with what it's like to be a l'il guy. I give the French resistance points. Pretty brave. I admire the Poles for their bravery and defiance in the face of Soviet tanks rolling in -- when they ran out of napalm bombs to throw in front of them, they jumped in front of them themselves. I'd rather go the Czech route -- when tanks rolled into Prague, the Czechs watched them passively ... they had changed all the street signs so that these tanks, lacking a reverse gear, ended up in dead ends (if you know Prague's street grid, the world's most complex, you'd know this would take months to untangle). And that's sorta the route the Czechs took the whole while ... they appeared to co-operate but like Hasek's Good Soldier Svejk you'd prefer them as enemies than allies.

Y'know, if the Czechs had been hunting Bin Laden they would have told him that he won the Powerball lottery ... or maybe set him up in Dateline sting with eighty virgins. They'd probably get closer to "smokin' him out of his hole" than the Cowboy-in-Chief.

So much for my jeremiad.

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted