1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America at a Crossroads: Anti-Americans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 3, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wow, I never thought I would see such a Republican group hug on this board. You all are really swallowing everything Bush feeds you?

France was against the US invasion of Iraq. Why?

Because France does not depend on foreign oil. Something like 80 percent of all the energy produced in France is nuclear, and because of this they live in a cleaner country. If we would have listened to Carter more, we could be in a same position today and not running stories about former high school football stars getting blown up by insurgents.

Oh, and if you say nuclear power is dangerous, then you are still believing everything Ronnie told you.

Imagine you are back in elementary school and the biggest strongest kid used to listen to everyone when it came to beating people up. Then one day, a sniveling little toad does something to him, but you are not sure the toad did it. Everyone tells the bully not to whale on the kid, but he still does anyway. Now, you as a smaller kid are scared because you are unsure if the bully is going to whale on you when they feel like it.

Face it. We are bullies under George W.

Oh, Paris is almost completely wireless provided for free by the government. Idiots, right?

http://www.freepress.net/news/16387

We get another 2 or 3 presidents like Bush and we will be passed by the rest of the world.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sarcasm, 93.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Then I wasted a perfectly good rant.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A perfectly good rant is never wasted.

Only mis-aimed. ;)

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Doesn't the fact that we're fat, lazy and ignorant AND the world's super power prove how much we kick ass?

Would another country prosper despite being fat, lazy and ignorant? No. I don't think so. I'm sure the French would be fat and lazy, too, if they could afford to be. But they can't. We can, which proves why we're No. 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA USA USA

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good points, andy.

And I recommend that we give ourselves a participation ribbon for Viet Nam and Iraq!

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry, I was just quoting from Psalms 34:15-27. It is all there in the Good Book.

If you are asking a legit question, my answer would be: because we should. Just as people wake up in the morning and put on clothes that they want others to see them in, as a nation we should do the same with our actions.

If you act like a jerk to those you know, they will think of you as a jerk. And last time I checked nobody likes hanging around with jerks (aside from those that visit SportsJournalists.com).

8. The blue font is clouding the minds.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But, my Rangers-loving friend, I don't think we should care that much.

10. French partisans saved my grandfather's life during World War II. He was able to escape because of their help and efforts.

When he returned in 1994 to mark the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landings, he was reunited with one of those who helped him. The other seven couldn't make it because they had been executed by the Germans for helping him escape.

Cowardice? I think not. The French fought and died in World War II just as other allies did, too.

By war's end, a total of 562,000 French soldiers and civilians were killed, 83,000 of those were killed in the Holocaust. That's from a population of 41.7 million as of 1939.

Other countries paid dearly, too, including the United States, which had 418,500 soldiers and civilians killed in that war. Britain suffered 450,400 troops and civilians killed. The Soviet Union? 23.6 million soldiers, sailors, pilots, et al, and civilians killed.

Now, that said, remember that just like in the U.S., Europeans also have their fair share of residents who are ignorant of past ties that bind, and look only at the world through tunnel vision. The U.S. is easy to be envious of no matter where in the world you are. It, like any other country, has its detractors but also supporters are plentiful, too.

Logic would dictate that were it not for Lafeyette and the French fleet blocking Cornwallis' exit by sea, we'd still be sipping the Earl Grey. It's a big world out there and old friends are permitted to bicker, quarrel and disagree with each other about the way things should go. It is human and geopolitical nature. As for rude Frenchmen and women? Definitely, they abound, but when I was last in Paris in May, no one belittled me for being an American. They cringed at my attempt to speak French, but were still helpful. As for French waiters, they're just as haughty as any you would find in a KC Mo. Applebee's or a Manhattan Starbucks.

Now, I'll step off my mini soap box and thanks for listening (or reading).

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Scribe,

Don't complicate this with facts.

YHS, etc

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The fact that 8 frenchmen were brave only proves the rest of the country is craven!

Draft saved Draft deleted