1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

America at a Crossroads: Anti-Americans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Anyone catch this PBS show over the past few weeks? Crew went to Paris, England, Poland to sample how others feel about Americans. It is, as expected, a real love-hate relationship... except for the French, who seem to just detest us. The others? Oh, they value our friendship, but question practices of the past few years (as many of us do).

Now, I've never been a Francophile before but watching this got me pretty pissed off. According to the man-and-woman in the street they spoke there, we're stupid, fat, pressed on world domination, deluded and... oh, yeah, they'll "kick (us) out like they did the Germans." Interviewer took most of it in stride but when some old French douche said that last bit, bucked. "Oh, well, you helped, I guess. But we've been paying for it ever since. We're all paid up" was the response. That, and of course, apparently we Americans all call the French "smelly cheeses" (we do?) and Sylvester Stallone is a staple of our culture (musta missed the memo).

Bottom line: I'm drawing a line in the sand. Fuck the French.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

First time you heard the French hate the Americans?

Don't take it personally, they hate everybody.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The French hate themselves.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Wasn't the first time I've heard of their anti-American sentiment, but first real look at its depth. For God's sake, there was a meeting of gov't officials discussing how they should ban growing use of 'airbag' in their auto industry. They were complaining that 'coussin gonflable' is correct, and use of 'airbag' should be eliminated as an industry standard. This is the kind of petty, idiotic shit they're worrying about! But I have to admit, the chick downplaying those 29,000 white crosses and stars of david in normandy really pissed me off (not to mention the 100,000 others wounded or missing).

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The French are part of a loser culture. A bunch of has-beens.

And astoundingly, there is a group of people in this country who want to be like them, and are driving this country toward the same fall they had. Then we'll be the world's pussies, surrendering to every tyrant that marches at us.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

The French weren't very fond of the Americans when I was there in the summer of '65. (No, spnited, not 1865.) The fact that my college German was better than my high school French--I had to fall back on German when I got in a jam in the countryside--didn't increase my popularity one whit.

The French like France, and they like their own language, and they're pretty serious about their own interests. Hmmmm. Why do they need to like me? They don't. I'd rather have 'em be ungrateful bastards than asskissers. I'd go in a trench with a Frenchman if he perceived that his interests and mine were the same. I'd prefer a ROK...

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And all this despite Americans always speaking so well of the French.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The Marquis de Lafayette celebrates his 250th birthday this Thursday. Don't be a party pooper.

[​IMG]

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

To put it into perspective: Freedom Fries.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

English-speakers and French-speakers have had "issues" with each other long before the USA existed.

I love the USA and while I don't love France, I like France. I wish all the anti-American French and anti-French Americans would STFU.

12. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I think Homer Simpson nailed it when called the French, "cheese-eating surrender monkeys."

Draft saved Draft deleted