1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't DVRs operate on a program basis, rather than a time basis?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, but it depends how the network plans it out and how the program guide your service provider uses is set up. On mine, it only showed the episode going until 10 p.m., so that is when the DVR cut off. If I hadn't been watching live, I wouldn't have known the show was going to be on until nearly 10:30.

3. DanOregon

That's what I mean though - I figured DVRs operated on the show "code" rather than a time block. When one show ends the next show's "code" begins. Though I do know some live events don't have this capability. Seems like an easy fix.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We have Dish and didn't have an issue with the show taping the whole episode.

Knowing Negan, they'll let him out and he'll just go ask to join the Whisperers! LOL

5. outofplace

Readers of the comics, bite your tongues.

6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

If you mean the Neegan speculation, I don't read the comics. But it sure seems like a path to go down. He has been in jail for a while, supposedly he was a good guy before the dead walked. I can see someone wanting him to help out.
    Besides Michone told the kid that people never change and we know they like the characters to grow and change and maybe Michone is going to learn the lesson that some people do change. Neegan has softened and now we have the bald $%&!, so it is one way to go.

7. outofplace

It is sensible speculation. I avoid guessing what they will do in areas that I know what happened in the books.

Of course, they have diverged a great deal from the books. Rick and Carl were around for the Whisperers in the books. So was Andrea. And of course, Daryl never existed in the comics.

The north border was taken from the comics, but the people involved were different.

JimmyHoward33 and lakefront like this.
  8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Mine cut off, too (DirecTV). Normally that would have been a pain in the ass, since I typically don't watch that week's episode till Thursday or Friday. But I was essentially "time-shifting," watching an hour later on Sunday. So even before Talking Dead began, because I knew I had missed some portion (no preview of next week's, for instance), I had set my DVR to grab the "encore" late that same night.

Anyone else notice a week or so ago that some commercials -- maybe a jeans commercial, with lots of dancing -- dropped in abruptly? Not the usual "bumpers" going into or out of a commercial break, not even the full-length ad. Seemed like a production screw-up -- or a tactic to try to thwart zipping through the obvious commercial periods. That's why, I assume, they now give us the tiny bit of TWD with a "...returns in 90 seconds" tease. If you're FF-ing, you very likely hit the Play button when you see the characters.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

As soon as you see an AMC promo, hit play. FF as necessary.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Saw this on twitter the night of the last episode.

[​IMG]

Joe Williams likes this.
  11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Can't believe how bad that Season 9 finale was.
    Once again, the production crew too impressed with itself, staging a winter storm.
    Whoop-dee-damn-doo.
    Really going to be hard to give a damn about a Season 10.

12. DanOregon

I do wonder how different the show would be if Darabont was still in charge. Seems like AMC just wanted to milk the show for all of its worth - damn the creative direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted