1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I think so. It was still must see TV for me this season. Not so sure about season 9.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If the drama is going to be built around Maggie, Daryl and Jesus taking on Rick, it's going to suck. Mostly because the idea is stupid.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I still read a few comic books and I have a fondness in my heart for them. Still, what it seems they tried to do this season was give a whole bunch of comic-book characters depth. And for the most part, they failed.

I don't know why. The actors aren't bad. It can be done. But retrofitting a show that had revolved around killing zombies and violent revenge fantasies into one about The Big Picture really fell flat for me.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I thought the constant cuts to Eugene was a tell.

5. outofplace

Agreed, but I thought they had plenty of tells in the previous episode.

6. outofplace

The show was never supposed to be about zombies and revenge fantasies. Like the comic, it is about putting characters in a nightmarish situation and observing how they react. The zombies are just part of the setting.

The difference now is the execution of those stories simply isn't as good.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

To hell with the set-up for next season. The last shot of the finale should have been, in middle of the night, Maggie putting a pillow over Negan's face and pushing down real hard. Total cop-out plot development, shameless in refusing to kill off JDM's character, and I blame Coral.

8. outofplace

They have kept characters around longer than they planned before because they liked the actor. That's why Herschel lived so long. I don't see that as the case here, mostly because Negan's fate at the end of All Out War follows what they did in the comics.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I would argue, though, that Negan's been sorta useless in the comics since AOW ended. If they do anything remotely close to the books (which I think will be season 10, next season will be this Maggie/Darryl/Jesus crap) Negan's role could be used by someone else. (Trying to not do spoilers while making sense, LOL)

10. outofplace

I'm not a regular reader of the comics. I just know some of the story beats from the books, including the ending of All Out War.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Nor are the characters themselves. Theyre all rotten people. I cant invest in rooting for them to survive and win anymore

12. outofplace

That is true. Morgan even spoke about it on the show, how they are worse than they were.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted