1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Didn't even know this show existed until I got on Facebook today. Lot of my friends were raving about it.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I didn't know about it until I was watching AMC Sunday afternoon. It's a damn good show.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

First 30 minutes breezed by in about 10.

Haven't read the graphic novels but reading the AV Club today and its review said the series was going to divert some from the story line. Like the helicopter the deputy saw in Atlanta, that wasn't in the book.

But the writer of the book is writing Episode No. 4 and that the show was going all out with the special effects, makeup and how it is being filmed.

I liked the show, a lot, even though I'm not a huge fan of the zombie genre.

Also just made the switch to AT&T U-Verse and AMC in high def isn't an option, at least not yet, so that took something away even though I'm not sure what.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've just had a bellyful of zombie stuff over the past decade.
    Enough already.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Kind of disappointed only 6 episodes have been produced. Guessing it is a costly series and they wanted to make sure people actually watched it. They did. 5.3 million watched the premiere (and 8.1M overall including the repeats; not sure if DVRs are included).

I'm guessing it gets renewed (if it hasn't already) barring a severe dropoff in ratings.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Same reason the stupid people keep winning. Just too damn many of them.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

The scene with Mr. Ed was what got me the most.

Very Dawn of the Dead-ish (the original from 1978).

Will stick with it.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Welcome to the awesomeness.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

No kidding. Hell, four people in Zombieland saved the world.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Thought the show was pretty damn good. Needs more scenes with the chick from Prison Break, though. Lots more.

As usual, this show would be so much better on HBO.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I noticed that, too. I can't recall the last zombie series I saw where animals were targets, too. They usually get left along (i.e. the dog in the "Dawn of the Dead" remake).

12. NDub

NDub Guest

The opening scene with Rick and the little zombie girl.... wow.

I also really enjoyed the contrast in the scene with the husband not having the nerve to shoot his zombified wife, while Rick calmly seeked out the half zombie woman he first saw after his exit from the hospital. "I'm sorry this happened to you." A great sequence there.

Draft saved Draft deleted