1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Killing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Started watching this last night On Demand and zoomed through the three episodes. Some pretty good TV there.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Like everything else on AMC, it's just shot so well ... the lighting, the subtle use of music. The acting is good, but the presentation is top notch.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's crazy how good Breaking Bad is. I'm only three episodes in and I have No. 4 on my DVR, but it's amazing. It's on the same level and maybe higher than the first couple seasons of the Sopranos.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Watched the first four of The Killing over the weekend. Good stuff. Reminded me of the BBC's Wire in the Blood. If you like The Killing - you should check it out.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Criminal Minds just has too many crimes that are the darkest of Rube Goldberg contraptions for me to want to watch it.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you're up-to-date on the show or you wouldn't have read this far on the thread, but just in case ... this message will contain spoilers ...

I hope this week's cliff-hanger isn't just a red herring the way the video was last week.

Maybe the one this week with the teacher won't follow that pattern, but I can't imagine the producers would be dumb enough to have a black man directly involved in the killing of a young white girl. Perhaps the teacher was just her conduit to getting involved with the mayor or his staff.

But overall solid show. Very well-acted and well-shot.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

not to worry. no doubt the teacher is yet another 'red herring.' it's the major flaw in a, what, 10-13 week show about one murder case which revolves around the investigation in search of the culprit, the never-ending search is bound to have numerous 'herrings.' little doubt the teacher will to be a mentor for the girl hoping to break free of her dank existence to 'discover the world.'...

8. DanOregon

Used to love watching DaVinci's Inquest when it was syndicated down here in the states. Doesn't hurt that two people from that show are on The Killing.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Following the rule of character economy, there's little doubt the politician is involved with her death. If not, there would be zero reason for his story arc to exist. No writer would spend so much time following the intricacies of a political campaign if the candidate's only connection to the main story was that one of his campaign cars was stolen and a dead body was discovered in the trunk.

They've made Richmond out to be a pretty sympathetic character, so I could see one of the two main people in his campaign (the woman he's boinking or the smarmy strategist dude) being involved as a way to sabotage his candidacy (likely at the direction of his opponent).

They probably wouldn't make Richmond too likable only to have him end up as someone who committed rape (statutory or otherwise) and murder. Either way, the Richmond campaign must be involved beyond the stolen car.

10. DanOregon

Did they ever say WHO reported the car stolen?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not that I recall ...

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Absolutely. Maybe it was just me, but I thought Episode 3 really dragged. You can see all kinds of different alleys they're going to have to wander down before figuring this out ... the dad now has some sort of shady past that you can bet will be uncovered and will have nothing to do with his daughter's death, just like the deal with the teacher, who probably was having an affair with the kid but almost certainly didn't kill her.
    Having the dead girl's friend turn out to be the one in the video, and making all the blood on the school basement mattress a nosebleed, was almost a stop-watching-this-series moment for me. I'm not up for week after week of "this is a huge, significant break in the investigation" and then the next week "no, fooled you!"
    Bigpern might be right, but my feeling is that the politician almost certainly had nothing to do with killing the girl either. The campaign is an alternate storyline, given a tangential connection to the killing -- the car -- to justify its presence in the series. Nice twist at the end having the candidate know that the deputy he "fired" wasn't the real traitor. Gotta be the woman he's sleeping with, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted