1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Killing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Even the shows harshest critics don't really argue those points (I'm talking Season 1, specifically. I didn't bother with Season 2, so I can't say).

There are some very talented actors doing some great work, and though the constant rain sort of became a joke, it was beautifully shot. The story is gripping thanks in large part to the performances of the actors, especially Sexton and Forbes. You feel for the parents so much you just have to find out who killed Rosie.

Which was part of the problem when the showrunner decided to fuck with the audience and throw out red herring after red herring and then leave it unsolved at the end of the season when it was all but promised you'd know who killed her by the finale. But even with that I think my biggest problem was just that so much of the mystery made little to no sense. I remember the moment I pretty much gave up was when the big break in the case came because the detectives deduced that nobody would ever stop for gas unless their car was on E, so the guy had to be lying about where he was and when. ::)

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah. Most of those red herring plots are absolutely ridiculous. (Wait for the second season when people at death's door are up and around after a day.) It's a show that wants to have a realistic art-house vibe with plots straight out of Law and Order every episode. But let's hope a single season mystery cures what ails it.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was kind of hoping the opening shot would have been of water just pelting a windshield unmercifully, then the camera would zoom out and the car would have turned out to be in a car wash and it's clear and sunny outside. Would have been a nice wink to the audience that came back.
    As it is, I'm not sure Holder makes up for all the baggage being toted by the rest of the characters or why I should care.

The show is like those relatives you used to visit as a kid. There might be one relative you like, but the rest of them drive you nuts. You kind of wish you could just visit the one relative and not have to bother with the rest.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Bump.

So... any thoughts on the fourth (or "fourth") season?

Without going into spoilers, I thought it was pretty good. Great acting but ultimately, the third season left a heavy hangover.

Draft saved Draft deleted