1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Killing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 3, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually, AMC has been re-running Breaking Bad seasons at midnight Wednesdays for a while now. Their promos say they're running the whole thing.

I decided to pass on The Killing. I'm sure it's good; I just don't need another 13-week commitment in my life.

The local TV critic, who's one of the best, wrote: If you don't have 13 weeks to invest in this show, don't watch the first episode. You'll be hooked.

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

There are very few series that have grabbed me like last night's episode did (The Shield with the killing of the cop & 24 with the plane blowing up are 2 others). I couldn't turn it off after the performance at the end of the first hour. During a commercial, I remember hearing that some review said the show had the most realistic characters and the performance by the parents at the end of the first hour was heart-breaking.

Can't wait to see where this goes. I think the one brother who went on teh "she's dead and not coming back" rant knows something. I also don't trust the male aid of the candidate.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Spoiler: Same person killed Rosie Larsen that killed Laura Palmer.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

and j.r., of course....

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, except Kristin killed J.R., and I don't know she could have done both the others...or could she?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn't J.R. surivive the shooting? I never watched the show, but I certainly remember the hype about that crap.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

When is this being re-run? Pissed I missed it, loved the trailer

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

zap2it.com says 9-11 (Eastern time) Thursday night.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm about 45 minutes in. Nothing has really happened and I'm already hooked. I love when there is actual character development.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I liked that too. It drove home one of my biggest problems with a lot of cop shows, especially the Law & Order franchise -- in the interest of time, I guess, the cops routinely tell people that someone close to them has died, and the person, instead of gasping and becoming sick, keeps stacking boxes or whatever, acting annoyed at the interruption. Granted, these people usually these aren't the parents of the deceased, but often they're supposed to be lovers or teachers or close friends, who instead of freaking out, give the detectives some sort of wary, wry pushoff.
    Unless they're in a gang clubhouse or something, that just never rings true to me.

The only thing I worry about with "The Killing" is how many flights to San Fran this woman is gonna miss. Good device for the opener, but I'm not up for several more episodes of "we'll fly out later."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, if I could change one thing about the first episode it would not be her last day. Make it so she's just given notice or something like that and everything still works.

The last day thing is so cliche that you half expect her to say, "I'm getting too old for this shit."

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Real quick since it's kinda-sorta off topic....About Breaking Bad, they've been running the entire series for a few months now on Wed nights, like someone mentioned above. The final episode of season 3 ran last week. I know this because I watched them all. Goddamn. Great fucking show. Mad I slept on it for so long, but glad they did the re-runs. Season 4 starts in late July, so they'll have time to re-run the first 3 seasons again, I bet.

DVRd The Killing and will watch soon. Pretty pumped for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted