1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's The Killing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 3, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch this debut tonight? I was watching it while listening to a wrestling PPV throughout the night, and it was pretty damned good. They're re-airing the premiere now.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

just watched ep 1. tremendously powerful and moving. the dead girl's parents, an actor i could i.d. and michelle forbes, gave chilling performances near end of the pilot, similar to sean penn's in 'mystic river.' i'm all in...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Is that the Michelle Forbes from Kalifornia, the highly underrated Brad Pitt/David Duchovny film?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000405/

Yup. And for the sci-fi geeks, she was Ro Laren on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Admiral Cain on Battlestar Galactica.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

I know her best from 'homicide: life in the streets' and 'in treatment' (as paul's wife/ex-wife). she's always been a first-rate, 'little-known' actress.

her primal, panic-driven screams of 'STAN!... STAN!!... STAN!!' into the phone as her husband is held off at the scene of the crime is award-winning stuff. and his cries of 'ROSIE!!... ROSIE!! is it my daughter?... (voice breaking)is it my daughter?' is equally heart-breaking. and reminiscent of penn/'mystic river.'

yeah, great kickoff to a series.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm worried that I won't be able to watch it. I don't doubt for a second that it's great, but the subject matter with kids being kidnapped and killed might be too much for me.

I watched a SVU with Blair Underwood several years ago that was one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

Same thing with Criminal Minds. Both are great shows, but I can only take so much of the shows that a frequently centered around kids being killed or kids being kidnapped, sexually abused etc...

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i totally understand your feelings. all films/tv shows exposing the rawest nerves are challenges to digest, no matter how extraordinary the performances. i often make myself watch works i know will rouse these emotions in me; maybe it's an outlet for crying i otherwise keep buried (trust me, if i wept over every tear-jerking episode in my own pathetic life i'd need a towel by my side 24/7).

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She is talented. Seems like this may be a case of an actress who was too picky for her own good, but maybe that's the sci-fi geek in me speaking.

I know she turned down a lead role in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Ro Laren was supposed to be one of the main characters on the show, but when she turned it down, they created Kira Nerys to take her place. She also turned down the recurring role on Battlestar Galactica before they talked her into it.

She really was excellent in the role, too. And no, I don't say that only because they had her making out with Tricia Helfer at one point. That was just a bonus.

Completely forgot she was a gleefully-creepy Maryann on True Blood.

9. Mizzougrad96

A co-worker just told me that Forbes looks almost exactly like Roma Downey these days. I don't think I've seen her in anything since Homicide or Kalifornia and both were quite awhile ago.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Good show so far. I worry about spoilers from abroad though since it is based off a Danish TV show.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Apparently they've changed some things so that won't happen.

This was gripping TV. As Sepinwall said in his review, it's not a cops and robbers TV show, it's more like a televised novel.

Strong acting across the board. It's our new Sunday night must see TV. And AMC is re-running Breaking Bad starting this Wednesday.

12. Mizzougrad96

I still have never seen Breaking Bad. I wonder what season they're starting with.

Draft saved Draft deleted