1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's Hell on Wheels

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I like it so far. I don't see how the second episode was underwhelming.
    I would like it better if Bohanan was wearing his uniform jacket or hat at least.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

All of this right here. Never seen Deadwood, so I don't see the comparisons. To me, this show is standing on its own.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well trust me, if you like Hell on Wheels, you'll love Deadwood. Quite possibly the best dialogue of any show in recent television history.

4. I tried Deadwood.
    Watched two episodes and turned it off.

This is OK.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. My favorite phrase from the show, which I still use in select company:
    " ... is the chief fucking point." There aren't many better characters than Al Swearengen.

And all of the comparisons being made to Deadwood could be made to any number of Westerns that came before it. I was thinking about this as I watched it last night, and I've seen every episode of Deadwood more than once, this show is not that similar Deadwood. Of all the similarities mentioned, there are as many new angles. Deadwood was based around a burgeoning (and lawless) town and the drinking and gold mining that corrupted it. This show is based around the building of a railroad and the challenges that must be overcome along the way. Certainly, the protagonist with the mysterious past and the damsel in distress are obvious similiarties. I would argue that the blowhard railroad magnate would be more in line with Hearst. (Any or all of these can be found in many movies stretching way back beyond Eastwood films). I wish we had a Swearengen-like character. And the Swede (Norwegian) is a welcome addition. Don't recall Deadwood having more than a handful of black characters, either. N----- General being the most memorable. Love this show so far, and I think it stands on its own.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Last Sunday's episode (aside from some of the weaknesses within the extended fight scene) was a significant step forward. They're starting to get some humor rolling based on character, which is key to the success of every such series ever launched. Very good, and getting better.

7. I continue to watch, but I am less interested each week.
    There is NO good guy or Bad guy. They are all grey. Not sure I like it.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm sort of feeling that way, too.

9. NDub

NDub Guest

I haven't watched this past Sunday's episode yet, but plan on doing so tonight. I'm a Lions fan so I was suffering through another loss while my DVR did some work.

I must say, Cullen is going down a dangerous path. His "I-don't-give-a-shit" attitude (neglecting his job, getting completely shitfaced, chasing Harper) is going to get him in trouble.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I don't care if all the characters are "gray" - I mean, that's life - I just want good writing and interesting plots. Haven't seen it yet, which is too bad. I did read somewhere that by the fifth episode it starts to kick in and I think that's this next one coming up.

11. NDub

NDub Guest

Much of the early episodes have seemed to be table setting. We've been introduced to all of the characters and we see their motives and purpose. Now, it's time to create drama and conflict with said motives and purposes.

12. NDub

NDub Guest

It shouldn't be a surprise why last night's episode was the best of the series - it was directed by Michelle MacLaren. She saved The Walking Dead's season this year, and has done some of the best episodes of "Breaking Bad."

Draft saved Draft deleted