1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AMC's Hell on Wheels

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 6, 2011.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Anyone looking forward to this? I've seen the commercials and I'm interested to see if it lives up to the hype.

2. YES.
    But I have to wait to see it: Ravens v. Steelers.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This is a damn good start.

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Liked it so far. We'll see where it goes.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

By the way - I'm reading an incredible book on the building of the Transcontinental Railroad - Empire Express. An amazing book, incredibly well-written and a must read for anyone interested in the history of the American West.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The opening's such a Deadwood knockoff, it's beyond hilarious.

That said, love the photography, and I'm more than willing to give it an extended chance, based on the premiere.

But they're taking multiple pages from the Boardwalk Empire book, in terms of sustained, imaginative,
    gratituous violence.

We'll see.

7. The opening scene just lost me ...Completely fell outside my suspension of belief.

A guy walking the streets of Washington D.C. wanders into a church, into a confessional and there is his avenging executioner? Waiting?

I also watched the preview of the next episode, where he's being questioned by the Swede.
    The Swede mentiosn people saw the he and one-armed guy leaving the bar togther ... But Nobody saw the one-armed guy with gun in the dude's back?

The show was decent, but I don't know.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

This might be a far reach, but I think it was juuust a bit more lawless back then. A one-armed guy with a gun in the back of another guy might be going on, but everyone is trashed and probably looking out for themselves.

/not a history buff

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Great book, very detailed. There are 2 others, one by Stephen Ambrose and the other by H.W. Brands. I don't like Brands' narratives, generally. I've read a couple of books he authored, one on Teddy Roosevelt I remember. I did the Ambrose book on tape.

Looking forward to this series, It's on DVR.

Sunday is turning out to be the best day for TV. Boardwalk Empire, Pan Am and Once Upon a Time. Oh yeah, Football!.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched it last night. It was interesting and definitely worth a further look, but the characters are pretty shallow so far. I think it will get better and I hope Common is around for awhile.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Other than the opening scene, which someone above mentioned, I liked it. Will keep watching.

But man, that opening scene made no sense at all.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Ambrose book sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted