1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon trims field to 20

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 18, 2018.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Vombatus likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

East Coast bias!

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I congratulate the fine citizens of those two areas who obviously have a great need for more-crowded subways and highways. Enjoy!

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Amazon’s HQ2 Spectacle Should Be Illegal - The Atlantic

I don't agree with he proposed solutions in the article, which will just have the effect of getting the state and local governments more involved, which inevitably means more corrupt practices. But the article does lay out the problem pretty well.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, one thing Northern Virginia needs is even more traffic.

OTOH, this will make Virginia even bluer than it's already become.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I thought Amazon said it was scrapping HQ2 altogether, settling for expansion of NoVa and Nashville operations. there is a dilemma that both companies like Amazon and all cities face. A city like New York (or up here in Boston) that is a very desirable location doesn't really need another big operation moving in, at least not at the cost of significant tax breaks and other subsidies. So it's a guarantee that there will be notable public opposition to the big company, even if their plan has majority support. Cities like Cleveland or Detroit, or even more prosperous burgs like Minneapolis, are in a position where the subsidies are more than worth it to them, but big companies like Amazon don't want to go there because of the perceived lack of a sufficiently tech capable work force.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Don't forget the free advertising, towards potential customers and potential employees.

I remember one year (2013?) at the beginning of December Bezos and Amazon made a big PR blitz about drone deliveries coming in less than two years. It included a spot on 60 Minutes and every national and local morning news program mentioning it Monday morning.
    Well, it didn't happen. The FAA didn't even have plans to look into setting rules for drone deliveries and any expert in the area said it wasn't happening any time soon, let alone on Amazon's timeline. You didn't hear that on 60 Minutes or on any of the next mornings' breathless coverage. Great advertising for Christmas season.

Draft saved Draft deleted