1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon trims field to 20

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 18, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Minimum wage in Ontario just went up to $14, going up again to $15 next year. I hope that's not a factor, and the Canadian dollar might offset that, but I can see that it might be. Also don't know how Trump's bloviating about NAFTA might affect things. If I were Amazon, I probably wouldn't chance it.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Amazon has its Audible division in Newark, because the city's telecom infrastructure was designed to be a key US comms hub.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think that would be a factor in this decision. These are going to be white collar employees.

Obviously, there will be janitors and cafeteria workers -- who will work for a third party -- making lower wages, but I'd still imagine this would be a lesser concern.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That’s why the idea of helping Gary was strange to me. The hypothetical workers weren’t going to be from Gary.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing DC area, given Loudoun County is where Amazon's server farm is located. AWS is the money maker for Amazon, not selling stuff to consumers.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought this would include some giant shipping warehouse. 50,000 white-collar employees? Why on earth would they need that many?

Proviso: I don't understand anything about anything.

doctorquant likes this.
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

A great reason to keep my resume updated!

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Unless they're offering to fund a metro-area wide mass transit system, and agree not to relocate here until that's complete, please, please, please do not let it be Atlanta.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Newark Airport is a good reason not to go there.

outofplace likes this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Might as well go full-hog and turn this into a reality TV show -- "America's Got Jobs!" -- with Simon Cowell deciding entire regions' futures.

I give my city -- Indy -- a puncher's chance, and trust legislators to not mortgage everything to get a deal done. Famous last words.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I fly out of Newark all of the time, especially United. I hate what they have done with bringing all of the food and drink under a single ownership in Terminal C, but the airport is pretty decent.

The city of Newark is still such a political mess that Amazon may not want to get involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted