1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon Pressured on Sales Tax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I live within an hour of three different states. All have cheaper sales taxes because they have a state income tax and personal property taxes. We do not. You dang well better believe if I'm make a sizeable purchase I shop around when I'm headed that way. It doesn't make sense to make a special trip (especially right now) because you'd burn more in gas than you'd save. And, uh, no, I don't report it. I have no idea what a "use" tax is. I'm pretty sure we don't have one.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm racking my brain trying to remember if I paid any sales tax on those Strat-O-Matic games I ordered in the early 70s . . . but just can't recall.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there was something on the order form that said, "if you live in state x, add 5 percent sales tax. If you live in state y, add 4 percent sales tax. If you live in state z, add 7 percent ..." and so on.

The record-keeping is a big deal here. It's why virtually every small business in the U.S. was against Obamacare, because of the 1099 reporting requirements for all non-employee expenditures of $600 or more. If you're a small business and doing your own books, to have to track this on every sale would be a massive pain in the ass.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This here is a conundrum. An online sales tax is a no-brainer, but then again it's hard to want -- and not be suspicious of -- anything that will benefit Wal-mart.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just saw this on Roger Ebert's Twitter feed: http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2011/03/will-new-tax-laws-end-amazons-affiliate-program.html

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Of course. WM does happen to be kinda right in this case, in a really abstract way, but I certainly hope Amazon also has an army of lobbyists storming Washington demanding that Wal-Mart be forced at gunpoint to provide adequate benefits rather than fobbing their poverty-level employees onto the public-assistance dole.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was quite happy last night to get a birthday gift for my nephew on Amazon. No sales tax. No shipping charges.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A gift is one thing but if you buy anything at Amazon you should keep track of the taxes you owe and report them on your state tax return.

Just because Amazon does not collect tax it does not mean you don't owe it.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . especially since Wal-Mart has been raising their price levels aggressively, for a while now . . . blind blanket shopping at the bare-bones Aisles of the Dead has been a fool's game for some time.

Soul-killing shopping, with moronic help and broad censorship in the media aisles . . . what's not to like? ::)

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Today's NYT:

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Here you go, YF: I am saying on this one that the Democrat-controlled Legislature and the Democratic governor can blow themselves for being anti-business.

Amazon suggests a two-year extension of no-sales-tax in California, and in exchange they will create distribution centers in California that will employ 7,000 people and create a physical bond between the state and the company, meaning sales tax will be required after that two-year period. State and governor say: Fuck off, we want our $400 million over the next two years. Only there are legal challenges to even getting that money, and there's a ballot measure coming this fall that, if Amazon wins, would mean they don't have to charge sales tax here until and unless it becomes federal law.

http://www.mercurynews.com/california-budget/ci_18807176

Now that's some stupid politicking.

Draft saved Draft deleted