1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon Kindle

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Nov 26, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_5892762_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0D829CSRT7VD9ASAK7Q6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=333267901&pf_rd_i=507846

Anyone own one? I'd go for it in a heartbeat if it weren't $399.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You're looking at the future, boys and girls. Maybe they'll stop shitcanning people when they start saving all that money on paper and ink. Sucks for the press guys, though.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You're right, buck, the Newsweek story was fascinating. I've read some fairly decent reviews, although as you said, I'd wait until it comes down in price. By then, they'll probably have an improved version anyways.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is this the device that comes in only one size, has no color, has to connect to a cellular network in order to work, will break if I spill coffee on it, and costs $400? No backlighting, limited Internet capability, extra fees for uploading? I surely wouldn't count on that free acess to the Spring-based network to last long, either.

Sounds like a step back from paper.

Here's a not-so-slurping article about it:
    http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/11/19/kindle-amazon-bezos-tech-cx_bc_1119techkindle.html

5. In Exile

In Exile Member

Not only might it be a step back from paper, but if you are an author, good luck earning out your advance on the royalties from a $9.99 sale. It will be great for the best-sellers, but lousy for the rest of us.

Once again, the writers get screwed.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If I misplace a book, I buy another.

If I misplace this, I'm out hundreds of dollars.

If a drop a book, I pick it up.

If I drop this, I may be out hundreds of dollars.

The Kindle, along with that Fly Fusion Pen thingy mentioned on another discussion, while fascinating gadgets, are the products of an inventor with too much time on his hands. Just because a gadget can do something . . . does mean we need it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

BOOKS ARE DOOMED!!!

We've been hearing this now since Edison invented the phonograph.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How is this different from a Sony Reader?

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm very curious to see how this all works out. It seems these are some of the inventions that have been "right around the corner" for a decade. Maybe they'll debut the flying car next week.

Really though, my roommate reads nearly everything on an old palm pilot he bought just for that purpose. He downloads a ton of books (usually for free) and hasn't bought a real book in a long time. I'm not so sure though ... I get damn tired of looking at a computer screen already. The last thing I want to do is add to that. Supposedly this Amazon thing won't be be hard on the eyes, but still, I'll need to verify that. My roommate often opts for technological solutions over conventional ones regardless of the practicality so I don't always trust his judgment on which direction this will all go.

The people acting like these devices don't have the potential to become the way the majority of America reads new content are naive, however. If a future version of this device can quickly and easily access any book in the world, can download copies of all the newspapers or magazines you want every day and do it all on a compact yet clear and well-designed out screen it'll become very popular.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Apparently, titles for that are the same price as the print version.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I present the Cue Cat. Your honor, the state rests.

Draft saved Draft deleted