1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon is buying Whole Foods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 16, 2017.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No stories yet. Just found this: Amazon is buying Whole Foods in a deal valued at $13.7 billion

This is going to be big. Amazon has wanted to dominate food and was trying a number of things. They are going to use this as a launching pad to try to take over that space. Amazon has such great scale. They have a bundle of cash to try to do things like this.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And Walmart is buying Bonobos for $310M to supplement buying Moosejaw earlier this year.

3. The Big Ragu

Yes, this is going to be a war of two heavyweights if it plays out the way Amazon likely wants: Amazon vs. Wal-Mart (which currently is dominating the food space).

You saw a small salvo over the last few months when Amazon announced that it would accept food stamps and it was going to sell a prime membership at a discount to anyone on a government assistance program.

Those two are gearing up for war, I suspect. The smaller grocers that trade publicly are getting hammered on the news. It's probably an overreaction, but groceries are a very low margin business, and the scale Amazon potentially can bring to it will squeeze those margins even farther.

Consumers might end up being winners, if Amazon can make big inroads into that space.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Is Amazon likely to make Whole Foods a more affordable, shoppable option? Because I find both its clientele and its prices to be kinda obnoxious.

5. The Big Ragu

I think you have that sized up correctly. Whole Foods has been struggling. Just last month, it did serious changes to its board of directors, brought in a new CFO and laid out cost cuts. It also had been trying to shift more into its 365 brand, including lower priced 365 stores, to try to attract back some of the customers it was losing due to price.

I think from Amazon's perspective, they probably aren't buying Whole Foods as you know it, as much as they are buying a huge, already established retail network. Whole Foods has more than 450 stores. It is hard to build that from scratch. Amazon can now come in with the technology it has been testing to try to cut costs, and then use its massive scale to turn their entry into a margin war so they can try to take more and more market share.

Donny in his element and Hermes like this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It could well happen, but running physical retail locations when you haven't before isn't a gimmie putt.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Think of what Twitter would've looked like had it existed during the AOL-Time Warner merger.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

2020 (or '24): Zuckerberg v. Bezos

9. The Big Ragu

It's a big question, for sure.

Amazon has been testing stores where when you take stuff off the shelf, it automatically gets added to your tab, and when you leave the store, there is an auto-payment, based on what you took. They also may try a hybrid model of some sort that uses Whole Foods' network of stores as the infrastructure for a massive food delivery service that dominates the space. You may end up having the option to drive to the local store that has the best prices due to Amazon's scale. ... or place your order online and have it delivered to you at low (or no) cost. There can be monthly food delivery services that give more "wholesale" type prices, I'd guess.

There is a lot that can go wrong in execution, though. This is all predicated on Amazon being able to squeeze costs through scale out of what is already a very, very low-margin business.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Aldi announced a huge expansion earlier in the week, partially in response to Lidl coming to the US. If Amazon's gonna do a cheaper, easier Whole Foods and the Germans are going to grab even more of the low end, somebody in the middle's gonna get hurt.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'd be scared to death of a toddler in a store that just charged my credit card automatically.

"You grabbed eight cans of caviar and hid them behind the watermelon? Do you know what you've done? We can't afford the mortgage this month now."

doctorquant likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yup. Saw this yesterday. (This meaning Kroger's earnings guidance, not this story in particular.)

Kroger Just Sneezed-What Does It Mean For Supermarkets?

Draft saved Draft deleted