1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazing Washington Post feature on John Wall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good for Wall for praising the article. When I first saw the link, I was expecting that he would rip it, or claim he was misquoted or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It appears that early on this kid has a good head on his shoulders. I won't even try to pretend I know it for a fact. But it's encouraging to hear the things he says. He's been pretty likeable so far.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That was fantastic.

He took a real risk revealing the father stuff, but honestly, seeing the very human side of Wall will make him a much easier person to cheer for in DC.

As this story ages, it will get better and better. At first you might have thought as a fan that it was cruel to do that, he should have left it up to the mother to tell him that, but the end result was very good.

You have to be careful about telling certain information to people. I found out that my father died through an aunt and not my mother, and my mother is pissed about that to this day. And I can see where she is coming from.

4. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

Reporting Wall's dad's crimes was a no-brainer. But I'm not completely certain telling Wall was. Because Wall had made such a point not to know, isn't telling him inserting yourself into the story in a way?

What if Prisbell had just asked Wall whether he wanted to know what his dad had done? Wall shakes his head no, and you include that in the story. If Wall says yes, you tell him and and the story ends up how it was written, maybe with an extra detail about how Wall said yes. With either answer, you get the emotion of how Wall feels about it now.

Draft saved Draft deleted