1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazing performance - Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that, years from now, no one will remember that she finished second.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fixed.

3. Baron Scicluna

I thought about that. But millions of people watched her perform, and loved her inspiring story. Plus, Simon is trying to get her a recording contract, which, if it comes to fruition, should keep her in the news for a couple of years.

4. imjustagirl

Yeah, she'll get a little more press when it comes out. But very few people sit around and listen to opera.

She'll be an answer on one of those pop culture flashback shows, but her clock is ticking. She's a novelty.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's Britain.. .little different culture there.

6. Baron Scicluna

Unless the Yankees decide to bring her across the Atlantic to sing during the seventh-inning stretch.

7. imjustagirl

I think, and I apologize if I'm wrong, that Baron was talking about stateside.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just pointing out that she doesn't sing opera. She sang music theatre which IS big in the US.

9. Baron Scicluna

I was talking about worldwide.

What I was thinking about (voice-wise, that is), is that she could become the female equivalent of Josh Groban stateside. We'd have to see what kind of songs she can belt out that the public will want to hear, and if the radio station cartel will be willing to give her airtime.

I think she will end up in one of two ways: 1. Her 15 minutes of fame are done, or 2. She'll become a huge star, at least overseas.

10. imjustagirl

Fair enough. But it doesn't get mainstream airplay.

There are big stars in musical theater, and there are people who sell videos and concert tours and t-shirts.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't know. If Andrea Bocelli and the Irish Tenors can draw crowds, people will pay for anything.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, the upper-class will look down on her as a novely, and the lower won't listen.

I know some of my friends over there are over it already, and the rest of her window is closing.

Draft saved Draft deleted